Mechanical or Hydraulic Clutch Linkage?

beary58

Jan 20, 2003
Hey, does anyone know if Ford stayed with the mechanical linkage clutch or did they put in hydraulics? Personally, I like the raw feel of a mechanical clutch, but hydraulics is nice in a traffic jam.

A few months ago, I test-drove a 97 Cobra and 99 Corvette that were both for sale in the same lot. I drove the Cobra first and must admit the Corvette was kind of boring with its hydraulic clutch and tamed exhaust after driving that Cobra. If the previous owner had not been a smoker, (cigarette, not tires), I would have made an offer on the Cobra.

2000 white vert

• Sponsors (?)

beary58 said:
Hey, does anyone know if Ford stayed with the mechanical linkage clutch or did they put in hydraulics? Personally, I like the raw feel of a mechanical clutch, but hydraulics is nice in a traffic jam.

A few months ago, I test-drove a 97 Cobra and 99 Corvette that were both for sale in the same lot. I drove the Cobra first and must admit the Corvette was kind of boring with its hydraulic clutch and tamed exhaust after driving that Cobra. If the previous owner had not been a smoker, (cigarette, not tires), I would have made an offer on the Cobra.

2000 white vert

Personaly I'm hoping for the hydraulic cluth. The kind of horsepower that the cars are producing these days really nead the hydraulic in order to use better pressure plates. You can only go so high with the pressure before it becomes a chore to drive. I haven't driven the new Corvette. But if the designers do it right, you shouldn't even know the difference. I have driven vehicles with both. The hydraulic is also easier to work on, adjusts itself and so on. As far as how much peddle pressure you like. If its to far off from where you like it, a different slave cylinder could change it to have your desired pressure. So all is not lost.

Wish granted.

"The boosted hydraulic clutch reduces pedal effort while still offering a performance feel. The V-6 clutch has new plate materials for durability, and the V-8 clutch has been enlarged to handle the 300 horsepower of the new 4.6-liter, three-valve MOD engine"