Meguires Ultimate Compound - Just tested versus 3M

MustangLX-5.0

Founding Member
Dec 2, 2000
Lehigh Acres Fla.
Don't know if this has been around but it's new over here.I tested this stuff out on multiple surfaces.Single stage paint on my 96,clear coat on my 92,polyurethane finishes such as on some wood surfaces,laquer coated brass,plastic finishes such as headlamp lenses.Results,all tested items buffed up really easy.It required considerably less buffing and didn't leave as much swirlies as the 3M compound does.The Meguires product leaves a much smoother finish.It seems to cut the material with ease yet it doesn't leave much in the way of blemishes.The Meg. compound easily buffed out a heavy scratch within the white paint on my 96.Thh 3M can do this but it requires more rubbing effort due to the thicker product.I could feel the grit within the Meg. compound.You would think this grit would leave scratches but doesn't.Both the 3M and the Meguires left white residue if a spot is missed or product gets into a groove.Both products also excelled at buffing swirls and oxidized paint.But the Meg. left the finish much more glossy.

I'm not totally switched.The Meguires product is top notch.But so is the 3M.The 3M is a heavier cut compound,which is why more swirlies can easily be left.I will continue to do more testing on the Meguires product.Maybe later this week I will clean up the white finish on my 96 and post a results pic.So far....it's well worth the $10 bucks spent.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Sponsors (?)

No pics as of yet.Still testing as I get the time.The Meguires product appears to have a glaze effect on the finish.What I mean,when this product is rubbed in good,or even lightly and then buffed out,the finish looks as if finishing glaze has been applied.Has that oily feel and wet glossy look.I wont be using this as a replacement for the 3M product.I will still use the 3M for heavier precise buffing of blemishes and after wet sanding.The Meguires product seems more of a mid level consumer product.That is,a type of product that even your average joe could probably use.The Meguires product is more of a very fine yet lightly abrasive Rubbing Compound/Polishing Compound.It both rubs out mild scratches and heavy oxidation but also seems to polish the surface making the end result look better.So,it's still hard to tell the effects of this product due to the "Polishing effects". The 3M product still excels at buffing horrible paint defects and heavily faded plastics.The Meguires product seems to take more rubbing and re applying.The cloth you use to apply regardless of what type seems to get "clogged" with either paint material or oils within the compound which after a short period of rubbing causes the "squeak squeeeak squeeak" noises while rubbing.Usually when it does that,it's time to buff and re apply otherwise the "squeeeak" type of rubbing does no good but make noise.