Melted Fuel Line Help!

onefstsnake

Nov 25, 2005
Northern VA
Well my exhaust is hitting one of the lines near the tank...
Its melted it pretty badly...

I know this is a big fire hazard.

How hard would it be to replace the line?
Will an Autoparts Store have a replacement line?

Any info or pictures would be great.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Any autoparts store should have High pressure rubber fuel line. Obviously, the most important thing to do is relocate either the exhaust or the fuel line.
Fuel line would probably be easier.

good luck
jason

Unfortunately I have college tomorrow and cant miss the class.

I zip tied the line so it doesnt hit the pipe for now.

How hard is it to drop the tank?
2 hour job?

Im majoring in automotive and know quite a bit...

I would just get a couple feet of line off a car in the junkyard. The nylon stuff right? Then it would have the coupler on the end, and you'd only have to make one splice in the line. The rubber hose will work, but it would be better to use a barbed coupler designed for nylon tubing. Put the ends in boiling water to soften them, and push them over the barbs. I'm not sure, but I think worm-type hose clamps would crack the nylon.

Hope that helps... :shrug:

My dad ended up taking the car to a local garage for them to work on.

He didnt like the Idea of removing the gas tank...

They have to make a new line since Ford doenst make them.

$150 for the line they make plus $200 in labor. But thats just the estimate and I hope its alot cheaper.

Oh well atleast he is paying. Just hate having people touch my car, let alone work on it...

onefstsnake said:
My dad ended up taking the car to a local garage for them to work on.

He didnt like the Idea of removing the gas tank...

They have to make a new line since Ford doenst make them.

$150 for the line they make plus $200 in labor. But thats just the estimate and I hope its alot cheaper.

Oh well atleast he is paying. Just hate having people touch my car, let alone work on it...

5.0 resto sells complete fuel lines from front to rear for $125.00 no splicing no worries great fitment

It's 3/8ths. I had to replace fuel lines myself, I bought 3 foot of fuel line and it cost me $22.00, But like they told me if you buy the whole box they will probably sell it cheaper.

onefstsnake said:

Holy crap! $350 to drop the tank and splice in a piece of hose! I went into the wrong business! The tank is held in with what.. 2 bolts?

Out of curiousity, how are you changing the routing of the line to prevent the same problem later.

Good luck
jason

Wasnt my Idea to take it to a shop.

I will "inspect" their work when I get the car back and probably make a heat shield untill I get the exhaust replaced.

When the mufflers were replaced someone lengthened the tail pipes which moved the exhaust closer to the fuel lines.