mercedes Q....May happen with other cars....

my66coupe

Founding Member
Apr 30, 2002
Arizona fountain hills
Ok well recently, my mothers 96 mercedes c220 4cyl auto has been vibrating violently in reverse, only in reverse. Happens on cold starts, and when the car is barely rolling or with the brake applied. If the car gets to a 5 mph roll in reverse it goes away. Under the hood, while the car is in park the thremostat housing makes a vibration that can be felt all the way into the radiator and the overflow tank. I dont think the reverse gear and thermostat housing could relate in anyway but hey, we're talking about a mercedes here. and yes ive tried mercedes forums but they require the admins to enable my account which said would happen in about a week. :notnice: well thanks guys

Mike

P.S. did i mention I hate this car.

• Sponsors (?)

my66coupe said:
Ok well recently, my mothers 96 mercedes c220 4cyl auto has been vibrating violently in reverse, only in reverse. Happens on cold starts, and when the car is barely rolling or with the brake applied. If the car gets to a 5 mph roll in reverse it goes away. Under the hood, while the car is in park the thremostat housing makes a vibration that can be felt all the way into the radiator and the overflow tank. I dont think the reverse gear and thermostat housing could relate in anyway but hey, we're talking about a mercedes here. and yes ive tried mercedes forums but they require the admins to enable my account which said would happen in about a week. :notnice: well thanks guys

Mike

P.S. did i mention I hate this car.

If it only happens in reverse, it may be a tranny mount. I hate those cars too. Gerrys ya know.

Could it be a solenoid on your tranny that isn't functioning properly when cold? Ford has about 700,000 transmissions just about to be recalled for a similar problem--only happens in reverse.

It's refreshing to hear someone being honest about owning a foreign car... the code of silence is broken! :rolleyes: