Metal Rattling Sound

blbrchnk

Oct 16, 2006
Bridgeport, WV
I get a weird sound, that I have happened to notice the past few work days when I leave work in the evenings (probably because I have my windows down), that my car makes a funny "metal rattling in a can" noise when it hits 2000 rpm. I never noticed anything of the sort before. It will only make it when it is in gear, meaning I can hit 2k rpm in neutral and the sound doesn't happen. Any ideas what it could be? It sounds like it could be coming from the drivers side, halfway back or further. I have FRPP GTA's.

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah I have it too, its only on acceleration, around 2800 rmps, I thought it was a loose clamp on my SLP LM's but I checked it and they are all tight. I was thinking it was the pipe hitting the car, and at that rmp is just right to make it do it. I would love to make it go away.

My new Bullitt is making a metallic sound at 2200 rpm. Its worse when the car is up to operating temp. I do hear it in neutral if I slooooowly raise the rpm and keep it there. It really becomes audible up against a wall.

I've had some history with the dealer I took it to but they did not want to spend any time on it since I did not buy it from them. I bought it from a dealer 200 miles away. I'll post any info if I find the cure.

What year cars do you guys have??

My new Bullitt is making a metallic sound at 2200 rpm. Its worse when the car is up to operating temp. I do hear it in neutral if I slooooowly raise the rpm and keep it there. It really becomes audible up against a wall.

I've had some history with the dealer I took it to but they did not want to spend any time on it since I did not buy it from them. I bought it from a dealer 200 miles away. I'll post any info if I find the cure.

What year cars do you guys have??

2007. Right, I notice it when I leave work I think because I am in between a bunch of walls. Well, at least I am not the only one. :shrug:

Got mine in Feb of 05, and axle back was on in Mar, It used to spit alot with a cold start, but almost never now. The rattle sounds more of an undercarriage vibration, then coming from the exhaust itself.

Gonna see if I can get an audio clip of it.

Could it be the problem below:

TSB
08-2-10 4.6L MANUAL TRANSMISSION - SEPARATOR PLATE BUZZ - BUILT BEFORE 12/13/2007

Publication Date: January 22, 2008

FORD: 2005-2008 Mustang

ISSUE:
Some 2005-2008 Mustang vehicles built before 12/13/2007 and equipped with a 4.6L engine and manual transmission, may exhibit an oil-canning or exhaust rattle/buzz around 2000 - 2500 RPM during the first few minutes of driving after a cold start. The sound goes away after the car warms up.

ACTION:
The concern may be caused by the separator plate, between the rear face of the block and the transmission housing, vibrating and/or contacting the flywheel. Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Remove transmission per Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 308-03B.
Pry separator plate from rear face of block alignment dowels, slide out from between block and flywheel, and replace with new service part.
Install transmission per WSM, Section 308-03B.
NOTE: INSTALL NEW SEPARATOR PLATE TO TRANSMISSION BOLTS IF MISSING OR DAMAGED. (FIGURE 1)

Figure 1 - Article 08-2-10

PART NUMBER PART NAME
8R3Z-7007-A Separator Plate
W500231-S439 Bolt

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
080210A 2005-2008 Mustang Built Before 12/13/2007: Replace Separator Plate, Includes Time To Remove And Install Transmission (Do Not Use With 7003A, 5212B, 4602A) 2.8 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
6A373 07

Attached Thumbnails

I noticed a similar rattling not long after I put on a set of flowmaster axle-backs, the offender turned out to be the driver side tailpipe coming in contact with the differential housing. The clearance is pretty tight (right at the bend before the pipe goes up and over the axle), it got closer after I made some adjustments to center the flowmaster in the rear fascia exhaust openings. If would only do it sometimes, not all the time, typically when it was cold out.

TSB
08-2-10 4.6L MANUAL TRANSMISSION - SEPARATOR PLATE BUZZ - BUILT BEFORE 12/13/2007

ISSUE:
Some 2005-2008 Mustang vehicles built before 12/13/2007 and equipped with a 4.6L engine and manual transmission, may exhibit an oil-canning or exhaust rattle/buzz around 2000 - 2500 RPM during the first few minutes of driving after a cold start. The sound goes away after the car warms up.

ACTION:
The concern may be caused by the separator plate, between the rear face of the block and the transmission housing, vibrating and/or contacting the flywheel. Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Pry separator plate from rear face of block alignment dowels, slide out from between block and flywheel, and replace with new service part.
NOTE: INSTALL NEW SEPARATOR PLATE TO TRANSMISSION BOLTS IF MISSING OR DAMAGED. (FIGURE 1)

PART NUMBER PART NAME
W500231-S439 Bolt

WARRANTY STATUS:
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

080210A 2005-2008 Mustang Built Before 12/13/2007: Replace Separator Plate, Includes Time To Remove And Install Transmission (Do Not Use With 7003A, 5212B, 4602A) 2.8 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
6A373 07

Attached Thumbnails

That actually might be it. The sound tends to go away after the car heats up a bit, and that is the right RPM range. Guess I will be taking it in for a looksee.

My car is an '06 GT with a 5spd. Unfortunately it is pretty much bone stock except for the K&N drop in filter. The TSB mentioned above sounds like the problem my car is having. Thanks for the info. I will mention the TSB to the dealer when I take the car in on Thursday.

I had the same issue with my 2005 Mustang. It was not that plate that was making the noise though. One thing that you guys should check (especially if you have changed your exhaust) are the hangers on the mufflers. The center (where the exhaust hangers mount) are rubber. But as the exhaust shifts back and forth the hangers sometimes rub against the metal portion of the mounts. You all should check that out cause that was the noise on my 2005 GT. I just bent the hangers slightly and it took care of the problem.

Hope that helped.

TSB

ISSUE:

ACTION:

SERVICE PROCEDURE

PART NUMBER PART NAME
W500231-S439 Bolt

WARRANTY STATUS:

DEALER CODING
6A373 07

Attached Thumbnails

Where did you find this at? The dealership says that there isn't a TSB for this issue, and no matter how much I tell them that there is, they don't think so.

Ok, Check out this thread and then check out this image:

My source was the bell housing cover plate...

Thread:
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=735401

Dark Fire's Image:

2418493975_18348cb2ca_b.jpg