Metra harness and mach 460?

millhouse

Founding Member
May 14, 2002
Simpsonville, SC
I believe I have found out why my car's sounds system sounds like ass. It appears the previous owner bypassed the factory amps and ran new wires from the new head unit to all of the speakers. The sound is rather "tinny" with a complete lack of deep bass and distortion at higher volumes.

My question is to those who have used a metra harness (I believe I need the 70-5510), how do you like it?

I'm questioning what is happening to the signals coming from the head unit really. It's my understanding the amps need a low level line to operate properly...so does the RCA's feed the amps all of the signals which then gets re-distributed to the correct speakers?

• Sponsors (?)

I put a Kenwood KDC-X494 in with this harness and it works perfect...

Ford Receiver Wiring Harness For select 1989-2000 Fords with factory amplifiers at Crutchfield.com

I believe it is the metra you mentioned. First owner of my car spliced the high gain speaker outs from a jvc head unit and sent them through the amp. Sounded like garbage and only half the speakers put out sound.

Runs the signal from the head unit's PRE-AMP outs through the factory amps. Didnt use the high gain outs from the head unit, just taped them off.