Mexican Paint Job

Will I ever see that car again....lol!?

• Dumb or dumber

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ratman50

Dec 1, 2014
I love my mustang. Love it! 1970 Grande model. But, after finishing the sheet metal and doing all the patch work that needed to be done up to the final paint, I don't love it enough to blow 16 grand on a new paint job! I got three quotes, except for Earl Schieb, and they were all the same. One guy acted absolutely offended that I would even approach his shop with a car like this....I only do high end ie mercedes and such..Okay. So I approached this guy at Mustangs Unlimited out here in Cal. Showed him pics, told him what I wanted and asked his price...He quoted about 4 - 5 grand...Okee Dokee! Whoo Hoo i thought. To make a long story even longer, I took the car in physically and he sang another tune.....16 grand! Huh! Seems a bit inflated...told him no rust, body panels new....He stood firm....16 grand. I fell out of love with the Stang...

Enter Tijuana...took the car down...told no problem....he quoted a price.....I squealed like a stuck pig in delight and left the car there......We shall see....anything has to be better than 16 gees......

Attachments

• 14800029.jpg
    14800029.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 533
  • 14800030.jpg
    14800030.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 775
  • 14800031.jpg
    14800031.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 473
  • Sponsors (?)

if you are looking for a higher end paint job, remember that the materials are going to run around $2000 minimum. and then you have to pay for the labor to blow apart your work, body work, prime and paint it. $16,000 is rather high, i would expect more like $6000 though.

but you still have options here;

1: you can take it to a place like one day, and have them do the body work and paint. you are looking at more like $1500-2000.

2: you can do the final body work yourself and prime it, and have the higher end shop shoot the color, and then you do the finish work. that will still run you right around $3000-5000, and you have to use the primer the paint guy recommends you use as it will match the paint he is going to use.

3: you can do the work yourself. depending on what materials you use, it will still run you about $2000-3000.

That's an absolutely gorgeous color. That happens to be the same color I brought down with me to TJ. It's the 2015 Mustang magnetic grey. I love it. I did bring my own paint...paint, thinner, primer, and clear coat. The body is pretty straight to begin with and I have all the bigger parts so no reassembling for him. I'm anxious and apprehensive at the same time. He's also putting in carpet and a new vinyl top which I provided from Kee Upholstery in one of the Carolina's....

if you are looking for a higher end paint job, remember that the materials are going to run around $2000 minimum. and then you have to pay for the labor to blow apart your work, body work, prime and paint it. $16,000 is rather high, i would expect more like $6000 though.

but you still have options here;

1: you can take it to a place like one day, and have them do the body work and paint. you are looking at more like $1500-2000.

2: you can do the final body work yourself and prime it, and have the higher end shop shoot the color, and then you do the finish work. that will still run you right around $3000-5000, and you have to use the primer the paint guy recommends you use as it will match the paint he is going to use.

3: you can do the work yourself. depending on what materials you use, it will still run you about $2000-3000.

Just a driver paint job...you know...looks good from a distance..But, I think it will come out better. I can do all the welding and sheet metal and rust repair. That you fix and do over if necessary. Paint? Not equipped and not so finessed about that....a bit sloppy.....

I know things are cheaper in Mexico but you still have to wonder exactly what type of materials they will be using for a price that low .I used to be able to buy the paint for between $700 and $1000. for Centari but that is no longer available here ,maybe Mexico .Any thing we are allowed to use now will cost at the least $2000 ,and that only depends upon the color ,it could be higher .That is only for paint and clear ,this doesn't count labor ,primer ,bondo ,sand paper ,masking tape ,masking paper ,fine paper for color sanding ,buffing compounds ,buffing pads and more that i am probably forgetting .

I know things are cheaper in Mexico but you still have to wonder exactly what type of materials they will be using for a price that low .I used to be able to buy the paint for between $700 and $1000. for Centari but that is no longer available here ,maybe Mexico .Any thing we are allowed to use now will cost at the least $2000 ,and that only depends upon the color ,it could be higher .That is only for paint and clear ,this doesn't count labor ,primer ,bondo ,sand paper ,masking tape ,masking paper ,fine paper for color sanding ,buffing compounds ,buffing pads and more that i am probably forgetting .

just the stuff you listed is going to add up to more than $2000 easy. and i wasnt even accounting for after paint work either.

Reactions: 1 user
Ill tell you what a friend of mine did. Went and signed up for a beginners auto body night class at the local vo-tech. It was about a six week course for #125.00 where you could bring your own vehicle in to work on. The instructor help guide him thru getting it ready for paint. These schools have top notch equipment and paint booths so the last week of class they had his car in the booth and the instructor painted it for him. Several people in the class had painting experience as well and offered to lay down a paint job for him too. He paid school price for the paint and clear but all other supplies were included in the course. You could also possibly leave it at the school for the students to do for you instead of signing up for a class?

By the way I hope you picked chili pepper red with guacamole green interior :)

Reactions: 1 users
Ill tell you what a friend of mine did. Went and signed up for a beginners auto body night class at the local vo-tech. It was about a six week course for #125.00 where you could bring your own vehicle in to work on. The instructor help guide him thru getting it ready for paint. These schools have top notch equipment and paint booths so the last week of class they had his car in the booth and the instructor painted it for him. Several people in the class had painting experience as well and offered to lay down a paint job for him too. He paid school price for the paint and clear but all other supplies were included in the course. You could also possibly leave it at the school for the students to do for you instead of signing up for a class?

By the way I hope you picked chili pepper red with guacamole green interior :)

There's another great idea. I posted under a UTube video about What Does it Cost to Paint My Car? It's mostly labor involved. Anyway, the car is there. I did put a GPS locator on it but failed to turn it on...oh well. I have to learn to have faith in humanity or where would I be?

Okay...it's been two months. Saw my mom at a party last night and she knew the car was in TJ. I got that look. That look, you know, that look. Well, she probably is right. I need to go down and make sure that car is okay. I'm a bit anxious about it. I try not to be but it's not working. The painter said that he would be in touch via email...not happened yet. We're leaving this week.