"mickey Mouse" power steering delete.

Is There any way to remove the power steering pump and lines while pluging the holes? If i remember correctly i read somewhere that it could be done. Has anyone done this, know of anyone thats done it? of course I would use the stock steering rack but it wouldnt have any pressurised power steering fluid running through it. thanks in advance.

By the way i've already deleted the AC system, so i will only be running the crank, waterpump, and alternator if and after i remove the power steering pump

:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

You can do it this way but if you plug the lines off then it will be harder to turn because the fluid can't escape.

I know some people who have taken the pump off and took the 2 lines and connected them together with a jumper hose. That way the rack still has fliud but just transfers the fluid from one side to the other. It is easier to turn then just plugging them off.

A manual rack would be a better choice but if money is an issue then it could work for you.

89sleeper said:
You can do it this way but if you plug the lines off then it will be harder to turn because the fluid can't escape.

I know some people who have taken the pump off and took the 2 lines and connected them together with a jumper hose. That way the rack still has fliud but just transfers the fluid from one side to the other. It is easier to turn then just plugging them off.

A manual rack would be a better choice but if money is an issue then it could work for you.
thanks, and yeah money is an issue, but if i can get a couple more HP(by having less parasitic loss) and remove some weight off the front i can live with that :nice: so i'm assuming the jumper hose doesnt need to have a high preassure rating to do the job since there wont be any "significant" preassure though the system? would a rubber hose do with clams at both ends?

MarSaleenMustan said:
thanks, and yeah money is an issue, but if i can get a couple more HP(by having less parasitic loss) and remove some weight off the front i can live with that :nice: so i'm assuming the jumper hose doesnt need to have a high preassure rating to do the job since there wont be any "significant" preassure though the system? would a rubber hose do with clams at both ends?

Yes a regular rubber hose with clamps should work just fine.

I heard that when you pull the power steering off the rack that it weakens the rack and you will eventually put more wear on it than it is made for. So you will eventually have to convert it to a manual rack but for a while it should be cool

92notch50 said:
I heard that when you pull the power steering off the rack that it weakens the rack and you will eventually put more wear on it than it is made for. So you will eventually have to convert it to a manual rack but for a while it should be cool
right on, Hopefully I have a couple hundred extra for when my engine is out to drop in a tubular K member and the manual rack.I wanna remove as much weight off the front as i can, i'm also gonna relocate the battery to the trunk.

MarSaleenMustan said:
right on, Hopefully I have a couple hundred extra for when my engine is out to drop in a tubular K member and the manual rack.I wanna remove as much weight off the front as i can, i'm also gonna relocate the battery to the trunk.

If you have a tilt wheel you may want to reconsider this. I have heard there is plastic in there that can break if you turn the wheel without power steering. I dont know how much truth there is to it, but I have read it many times.

They go to the pump and cooler in front of the rad, not the rad itself. You should really find out how sturdy that tilt wheel is before doing this. I would retain the PS or get the manual rack. What will you free up, 5 hp?

MarSaleenMustan said:
thanks for the pic that helped a lot, but one more question, do i simply plug the holes on the radiator when i remove the hoses?, i'm thnking pluging them with plugs like the radiator drain cocks.
There should not be any hoses going into the radiator. Only automatic transmission lines go into the radiator.

There is a hose that goes in front of the radiator that attaches to a small peice of metal line and makes a loop and goes back into the rubber line. This is the factory power steering cooler, a very crude one at that. It was later upgraded in 94 with an actual cooler.

I've heard that the plastic is only there on the cars with the airbag? Idunno, but I nixed mine maybe 9 months ago and its been alright... The whole tilt mechanism got a little loose though so I could move the wheel up and down/side to side, but that just took tightening of a bolt. I didn't use a jumper hose, I just drained most of the fluid and plugged the hoses with silicone/bolts/sparkplugs/whatever I could find. Frankly, its pretty easy to steer if you've got some muscle - as long as you're rolling...try to turn the wheel without moving...its a little tough. you get used to it quick and now I feel funny driving a car with power steering. just thought I could help a bit...

siege said:
I've heard that the plastic is only there on the cars with the airbag? Idunno, but I nixed mine maybe 9 months ago and its been alright... The whole tilt mechanism got a little loose though so I could move the wheel up and down/side to side, but that just took tightening of a bolt. I didn't use a jumper hose, I just drained most of the fluid and plugged the hoses with silicone/bolts/sparkplugs/whatever I could find. Frankly, its pretty easy to steer if you've got some muscle - as long as you're rolling...try to turn the wheel without moving...its a little tough. you get used to it quick and now I feel funny driving a car with power steering. just thought I could help a bit...

Did you notice any performance gains?

jb89coupe said:
Did you notice any performance gains?

seemed a little more responsive to me. But then again, the mind can fabricate many things :D

The real difference was the fun to drive factor. The way the steering is without the power is just really enjoyable and is more responsive at higher speeds.