microsquirt commanding 21 degree timming?

Creomod

5 Year Member
Sep 14, 2018
San Antonio,Texas
Ok I had my car set at 14 deg. timming with spout out with my a9l.I had a cel light so I bout a microsquirt.I set my timming at 20 fixed and 14 on my offset right from the getgo.Car turned on fine.I did match the timming from underhood spout in to trigger wizard on microsquirt and my car revs good afr at 12 low 13s but its popping a little.Not sure if its cuz Im running rich and spark not burning all the fuel so maybe thats why it pops or maybe I was thinking engine is too advanced at 20?I am new to this microsquirt.I only bought it cuz my a9l had check engine light and it was running afr at 20!So why is my microsquirt commanding 20 timming?Is it becuse I set it up that way intially?I cant get the microsquirt to lower the timming.Is it cuz Im running it at speed density?Doers that make a differce or should I just try and get both underhood and wizard timming the same the way I do and just adjust fuel to get the popping to go away?I noticed it did it when I was driving fast and let off the gas.I dont think its a vaccum leak cuz it just started this when I set timming that high.Couldit be that im off a degree of timming somwhere?If the numbers at balancer and wizard are slightly differnt can this cause the popping/backfireing or sounds like timming out of wack.

• Sponsors (?)

Once you have the timing synchronized the MS will run what you have it commanded at. Without a datalog and a copy of the tune file I am just guessing as to what the issue may be.
Once you have the timing synchronized the MS will run what you have it commanded at. Without a datalog and a copy of the tune file I am just guessing as to what the issue may be.
Ok cool so synchronized does that mean what I entered in the fixed timming area?I entered 20 becuse thats what people are suggesting to use,so my question is why cant I change that number?I move distributor,change the offset in the wizard and it maybe goes up higher to 22 maybe to 19 but just wantds to stay at 20.What I was thinking was changing my fixed timming number to 10 then burn it save it shut it off then turn the microsqurt back on.Thats just my idea I was going to try that later tonight.Does that sound about right?How can I get you to see my tune file?Do you need my key/password??Thank you for your help.How can I command it to command lower timming like 10?Is it ok to run my engine this way?The only thing thats freaking me out is that Im used to 14 btc with stioock a9l ,now Im at 20.O and that its popping here and there.Sounds like its comming from exahust.

You need to start from the beginning. You obviously done understand the basics of what your working on, I suggest reading the manual on ms extra and watching my videos.
You leave the spout installed.
Set to fixed timing
Set a value you want 20 is easy to read and most engines run at this value
The offset is the mechanical advance this can be between 0 and 14* this is the lowest the MS can command due to the mechanical lower limit.

Once you have these synced then go back to use table and begin tuning.

You need to start from the beginning. You obviously done understand the basics of what your working on, I suggest reading the manual on ms extra and watching my videos.
Set to fixed timing
The offset is the mechanical advance this can be between 0 and 14* this is the lowest the MS can command due to the mechanical lower limit.left it in the whole time

Once you have these synced then go back to use table and begin tuning

Set to fixed timing
The offset is the mechanical advance this can be between 0 and 14* this is the lowest the MS can command due to the mechanical lower limit.

Once you have these synced then go back to use table and begin tuning.
I did leave the spout in left it in but your saying to set the fixed timming and you said set the value at 20 I belive thats what I did But now I cvant change that so id like to know how to change that inital fixed timming I entered?I think thats why I cant come down from 20 total commanding time.I just wanted to make sure my theeroy was right.0 to 14 is the lowest the ms can command but I cant get it to command lower then 20

Not to hijack the thread but I as well am just starting out with Microsquirt. I have my timing at 18* on my balancer & used the trigger wheel to match it but when I checked my timing I took the spout out & re-installed it after checking it. I guess I better check it again when I get home but leave the spout in this time.

Not to hijack the thread but I as well am just starting out with Microsquirt. I have my timing at 18* on my balancer & used the trigger wheel to match it but when I checked my timing I took the spout out & re-installed it after checking it. I guess I better check it again when I get home but leave the spout in this time.
You do not pull the spout when syncing the MS for timing.

No sir.

Lock timing at whatever value you want to check for.

The ignition offset to 10*
Sync the timing.
Your commanded should match what is read on the balancer.

I have a link to videos in my signature

Reactions: 1 user