Microsquirt with strange cold start problem

I'm having issues with cold start and warm up. I have a microsquirt from efi source. I'll start by listing my engine details
1992 5.0
speed density
gt40p heads
explorer intake with IAT sensor in #5 runner
GM IAT and CLT
Anderson N41 cam
Ford 24lb injectors
AEM 30-4110 wideband
Timing verfied with timing light
180F T-stat

I've been working on this project for a few months now off and on. It idles great warm, good drivability, and pulls nicely. I had warm up dialed in closed loop, then build my closed loop following a91what's channel. I thought i was getting somewhere, but then today it started acting strange on cold start. My idle advance kicks in at 100F, but before then, it is all over the place. The strange part is, during initial warm up, my timing is jumping around and i don't know whats triggering it. When I check my rpm and map in data-logs, it does not match what my ignition table is calling for. My timing should be flat at 18 from 850-1200 rpm, and its jumping high as 20, and low as 14, but i cant figure out were some of these values are coming from. Also, something is triggering ASE again after the engine is already started. Once the engine gets to about 100F and the idle advance come on, everything settles out. I could not find anything that stands out that would be causing this. I know im a bit lean when cold, but autotuning WUE when this is happening goes all over the place. It doesn't seem to be closed loop related from what i can tell. I have not had a chance to switch back to open loop. Its so warm here, i don't get many opportunities to start it cold. I can get my garage down to 75-80 at the coldest.

I've tried getting myself to this point without posting to ask silly question, but this one has me stumped. Ive attached my tune and datalog of a cold start, if someone could take a look, it would be greatly appreciated. I was completely new to tuning 2 months ago and have come a long ways, but im sure there are things that are off. I will appreciate all help and suggestions. Thanks guys

Attachments

• Most current tune.msq
    118.9 KB · Views: 112
  • cold start 2019-07-14_19.17.13.msl
    3.8 MB · Views: 93
  • Sponsors (?)

Ok so in the datalog i can see that she clearly needs more fuel on a cold start, The AFR is very lean and a lean engine will not idle well cold. I also looked at the spark advance and i do not see it dip below 18 but i do see it go above as you have set in the base spark table when the idle speed starts to drop. When she hits 100 the idle advance kicks in and forces the engine to idle stopping the lean surge.
My suggestion for now is to increase the WUE values from 140* and below, add 8% at 100* and below and taper it as the engine warms up. The engine needs to be about .7 richer than target on warmup. You should also go into the general settings and reduce the lambda lag factor by 20-30% to clean up the AFR signal into the MS.

Ok so in the datalog i can see that she clearly needs more fuel on a cold start, The AFR is very lean and a lean engine will not idle well cold. I also looked at the spark advance and i do not see it dip below 18 but i do see it go above as you have set in the base spark table when the idle speed starts to drop. When she hits 100 the idle advance kicks in and forces the engine to idle stopping the lean surge.
My suggestion for now is to increase the WUE values from 140* and below, add 8% at 100* and below and taper it as the engine warms up. The engine needs to be about .7 richer than target on warmup. You should also go into the general settings and reduce the lambda lag factor by 20-30% to clean up the AFR signal into the MS.
ok ill have to look at that to see how to change it.... i did add a little ve so it would idle better on warm up..... she goes way phat on brake to launch

Attachments

• transbrakelaunch.zip
    208.8 KB · Views: 91

I made changes to my WUE as suggested, and reduced my lamda lag factor. I will do a cold start when i get home and report back. Also with the timing, i attached screenshots of the parts that confused me. The first pic is where the timing dropped to 16.69 right before ASE kicked in again. The second screen shot is where my timing is at 19.98 at 1057 rpm. Neither event seems to match what my ignition table is calling for. Am I looking at this wrong or missing something?

Screenshot (1).png
Screenshot (2).png

Remove the smoothing on spark. [S5] is significant smoothing... I only smooth rpm and map sometimes afr if I am just doing a casual review. For picking out issues you want very little to no smoothing.
Thanks for that Tip! Once i changed that, what i was viewing made much more sense. I didn't realized how much smoothing affected accuracy. I've only been able to start it once since your suggestions. It defiantly improved. Now that i'm reading the log viewer properly, i should be able to work things out from here.

Also, I would like some feedback on my spark table if you or anyone else wouldn't mind. I put it together from studying other peoples tables and the A9L WOT curve. I've never been confident with it because most examples are from boosted cars, but I tried to make my WOT match what i had with the factory computer. Its everything below that, and my transition from idle (900) to 2150 rpm that i'm unsure of.