Might be going to the drag strip... A few questions.

BurningRubber

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
Mustang Week is coming up, and drag night is at Darlington. Good track, if Im feeling good im probaly gonna run.

Just got a couple of questions though.

Im running street tires, but they bite pretty hard compared to others I have seen... so traction isnt too too big of a problem if I dont get too happy.

I feel the best launch is around 22-2500 RPM quickly letting the clutch out and stabbing the gas, but I can mess with a few different ways.

The main thing I want to know is if it would benefit me to disconnect the front sway bar. I know that would help with weight transfer a good bit, and possibly a really good launch. The car is lowered, so I figure that may help offset that.

If you guys think thats a good idea, can I just unbolt it and tie it up, or do I need to take the whole damn thing off?

Also will probaly pull the passenger headlight to get a straight shot of air in the intake, and maybe pull the spare if I have someone that will keep an eye on it.

First trip to an actual drag strip btw.

• Sponsors (?)

BurningRubber said:
The main thing I want to know is if it would benefit me to disconnect the front sway bar. I know that would help with weight transfer a good bit, and possibly a really good launch. The car is lowered, so I figure that may help offset that.

If you guys think thats a good idea, can I just unbolt it and tie it up, or do I need to take the whole damn thing off?

You're gonna friggin love. You're screwed now :D . It's very addicting. Definitely pull the front sway bar. It's only 2 bolts and comes out easy. It will help you're weight transfer. DO NOT TIE IT UP!!!!!!! You don't want any loose metal projectiles bouncing about at 100mph, just take it right off. Stay way from the water if you can with street tires. You're launch rpm looks good but you'll know once you get the first run under your belt. Don't go in with high expectations. It takes some practice to get everything down. Most importantly GO ON THE LAST YELLOW. If you wait for green you're gonna get smoked. Go out and have fun. :nice:

Sweet. I hope I dont get too hooked, thats the closest track and its about 2 hours away, lol. Probaly will though, oh well.

Not really going with high expectations, but I would like to get the best times that I can...:nice:

Would you reccomend pulling the swaybar there, or before going to the track? Im thinking there...

I have never removed my front sway bar..so I cant say if it helps much....but seems like too much trouble for something that probably wont even be good for a tenth :shrug: .

I would just pull the spare and the front light...Those both will help.

TweekedGT said:
You're gonna friggin love. You're screwed now :D . It's very addicting. Definitely pull the front sway bar. It's only 2 bolts and comes out easy. It will help you're weight transfer. DO NOT TIE IT UP!!!!!!! You don't want any loose metal projectiles bouncing about at 100mph, just take it right off. Stay way from the water if you can with street tires. You're launch rpm looks good but you'll know once you get the first run under your belt. Don't go in with high expectations. It takes some practice to get everything down. Most importantly GO ON THE LAST YELLOW. If you wait for green you're gonna get smoked. Go out and have fun. :nice:
-------------------------
Does he really care if he gets smoked? It's his first run. So he should not
be worrying about the guy/girl in the next lane. He just wants to see how
fast it will go and have some fun too. So what if he starts early and red lights or starts late. He still will get the elapsed time at the end. Someday
I hope to try it my first time too.

tradde said:
-------------------------
Does he really care if he gets smoked? It's his first run. So he should not
be worrying about the guy/girl in the next lane. He just wants to see how
fast it will go and have some fun too. So what if he starts early and red lights or starts late. He still will get the elapsed time at the end. Someday
I hope to try it my first time too.

He's asking to remove his sway bar and his front light so do you not think he wants to do the best he can????? So you wouldn't want any tips before you went for the first time? When the civic in the lane beside you beats you because you're asleep at the tree don't come crying.

TweekedGT said:
He's asking to remove his sway bar and his front light so do you not think he wants to do the best he can????? So you wouldn't want any tips before you went for the first time? When the civic in the lane beside you beats you because you're asleep at the tree don't come crying.

but its so sweet to pass that civic like it's standing still once you wake up :drool:

stangGT97 said:
but its so sweet to pass that civic like it's standing still once you wake up :drool:

:lol:

No Civics for me. Ill be running with all Mustangs and SVT's...:D

Trust me, I plan on getting my ass whooped fully. Ill probaly be one of the few stock cars out there, but I just want to have fun and see what its got in her. Last year the track was dominated by all motor 5.0's and Terminator's. There were a few turbo 4.6's guys too, pretty f'n sweet. But sure id be happy to take down a 99-04 GT equivelent to mine (drivers race pretty much), or a few 5.0's, but I want to get some practice under my belt and concentrate on getting good ET's. Well, as good as it can get for my first time... lol.

TweekedGT said:

I don't remember saying not to take tips, but as others have written before
you should not be worrying about the best reaction time and any of that
stuff. Just try for your best run. Of course he should take tips on how to
run a bit faster. But if he races someone who has raced before and he has
never he should not worry about it. I just hope he is happy with the time
he runs.

i'm gonna run mine down there, if you have a REALLY low profile jack i'll let you run on my MT's. i'm only gonna make a couple of passes b/c after the third pass my SC is so hot my times just get worst and worse. you should be in the mid 14 sec range

SaleenGT2001 said:
i'm gonna run mine down there, if you have a REALLY low profile jack i'll let you run on my MT's. i'm only gonna make a couple of passes b/c after the third pass my SC is so hot my times just get worst and worse. you should be in the mid 14 sec range

That would be cool, but I dont have a low profile jack... One of the guys in the local club offered a set also, but it may be taken by someone who needs them alot more than I do (500+ to the wheels), lol. I appreciate the offer though...:nice: