Might buy a 2001 GT, need some input!

04gtdrop

Jun 10, 2005
Sac, CA
Ok, so my girlfriend wants to buy a new car, she is looking real close at this 2001 GT. Its a convert, red and an auto.

She likes the idea of the drop top and auto. I like the idea of a 5 spd, but she's gotta pay for it and drive it so....

I need your thoughts and any extra info.

Its for sale here in Sacramento, Ca by a really small dealership.

It has 65,3?? miles on it. It appears to be stock. it has a few minor problems like missing a vent, the wires connecting the power to the rear view mirror lights are cut off, i hear a rattle coming from the back seat on the drives side. i think its some where in the seat belt speaker area......

and it looks like the passenger side window doesnt seal up all the way with the front window, rear window and the top.

It does not have any dents as far as i can tell. some swirl marks, but thats it.

The dealer was asking 14,999 for it, but he took 1k off which put it at 13,999, what do you guys think of that price? KBB says its worth 15,425. but i think that means in GREAT condition, which this 2001 is not.

The car gets up pretty good. I have a 04 GT convert 5 spd with a few mods and i thought the auto would have been slow. but its got some decent power....:nice:

I'm just wondering if that year stang had any problems or issues i should know about? Because she wants to go buy it on sat morning.... :eek:

What can you guys tell me about this year stang????? :shrug:

Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas?

How will this car hold up in the higher miles? I wouldnt be surprised if she drove this car to 100k or beyond.

The dealer seems real laxed, like they dont even care if we buy the car.... :scratch:

If i send you the VIN could someone run a car fax on it for me, please?

Ohh yeah, its gots some gay ass rims on it. We would have to change those out asap....she was talking about black rims. I was thinking about some deep dish rims. Where can I find those?

Thanks
04GTDrop

• Sponsors (?)

Are you kidding me... that is way too much money.

I just bought an '03 with 33,000 miles for 14,800 out the door. It sounds like the car is not that good and they are asking a premium. Talk them down or walk is my advice.

There are a bunch of very well cared for mustangs available for the same if not less money.

Matt

Throw them $11k and let them sit on it. Don't be scared to let it go. Sounds like it's been beat on and not taken care of. I paid $16 for my 2000 GT 5-speed vert when it had 9,000 miles on it 2 years ago.

well guys, thanks for all your input. she decided to tell that dealership no thanks. they were asking too much for a car that was in not so great shape.

we looked arounded and she found a 2004 v6 vert she really liked. so she bought that instead for less.

I really wanted her to get a GT, but i guess in the long run a v6 will get a little better MPG and will cost less to insure. :(

thanks again SN, you guys always come through!

04GTDROP