MINERAL GREY QUESTION???????

• Sponsors (?)

ZmanGT05 said:
The color chip in the 05 brochure scares me,it looks to tan.

Well, it does look a bit on the tan side. That is why Ford pairs it with the parchment interior, and not medium graphite.

It is a rather nice color, IMHO, but quite different than the '03-'04 DSG.

Our 03 Lincoln Aviator is Mineral Grey. I don't know why they call it grey...its more of the copper/goldish color in the sun...the only time it remotely looks grey is in the dark. With that said, its a cool color. It never looks dirty and has a very metalic look to it. To me, its a classy color...however, if I ever get a Mustang, I wouldn't want 2 MG colors in my garage!

I have a 2002 Mineral Gray GT and I parked it next to a 2005 Mineral Gray GT and the paint was Identical. The only difference was that both our cars have Bullitt wheels and the 2002 match the color of the car a lot better than the 2005 Bullitt wheels.

ZmanGT05 said:
Thanks for all the help keep it coming.I am having second thoughts about my choice.

If you are having second thoughts, then I would pause for a moment. It seems that you really need to see a real '05 in MG for yourself. Even the same color, in a completely different vehicle, can look much different.

I might suggest going onto Ford's website, and do their "build your own" with selecting MG. At the end, have it search all dealerships near you for one. You just might be lucky and find one in stock. It doesn't really matter V6 vs. GT, or options, or even interior color. Just find any Mustang locally in MG and take a look for yourself. You might even want to go see it twice; once at noon, and again in the dark. MG is one of those colors which looks quite different in different levels of light, as apparent in mwcool's pic above (MG looks more grayish in darker light).

I've seen a 05 mineral gray mustang inside a dealer's shop in Detroit. I did not see it in direct sunlight. It is high metallic with a lot of bronze/copper in it. It almost looked like a chrome illusion color mixing bronze, silver and copper. Lighting and the angle you looked at it really changed the color of the car. The car had the black and red interior.

2005muzzy said:
Does anyone know if ford has any car on their lots NOW that are using the same mineral grey that is being used on the mustang?? Every pic I see of the mineral grey 2005 looks different to me.Am I the only one?? :bang:

It is supposed to be the same Mineral Grey on the current Explorer and on past Mustangs.

BUT!!!

It looks different on EVERY car. Part of it is the lighting, MG looks more grey under flourescent lights, and more tan under sunlight, with it falling in between on cloudy days. And digital pictures and computer monitors are very bad at capturing the subtleties accurately across all computers.

I'm telling you, and this is subjective, I love MG on my 2005 Mustang. I didn't like it at all on the earlier SN95's, and I'm ambivilent about it on the 2005 Explorer.

Here are more pix, don't know if they will help you. THere are a ton of Don McCarthy's and 4 of mine, plus some other pre-release pictures.

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/05/05/mineralgrey.htm

ZmanGT05 said:
Can anyone verify that the tk Mineral gray that is on the f-150 04-05 the same that will be on the 05 mustang. The color chip in the 05 brochure scares me,it looks to tan. But I think is wrong compared the vehicles I have seen with TK on it. Or if any one could post some good pics of their tk Mineral gray cars they have received thanks

Zman, I saw the Mineral gray last weekend in direct sun. At one angle it looked tan to me. From another angle it looked like a very very light green tint? Seems odd, but I had my wife and duaghter with me and they saw the same thing. Tonight I saw another Mineral Grey indoors under lights and it looked very much grey. So lighting has a lot to do with it.

In the same showroom they had two Blacks, and one Redfire. After seeing the Redfire I am changing my order (again) to Redfire! I hope the dealer does not get pissed. I promised I would not change again.

same color as before...

mineral grey on the 2005 is the same as it was on the 2002. ford quit producing mineral grey for 2003. i used to sell for Ford. and i have also seen a 2005 GT in mineral grey. absolutly awesome in person!!! i will be ordering a 2006 in that color. hope this helps.

klous said:
Ford likes to change the names of the paint without changing the color, and sometimes like to change the color without changing the name.

And that is a traditional Mustang thing, too. Example: there were two different colors on '65 Mustangs called "Silver Smoke Grey". The later ones had a distinct blue tint, while the first ones (like mine - ordered on April 18, 1954) were pure silver. To get the correct color on an early '65, you have to go to '64 Galaxie color chip.

They have been doing this a long time, huh?

ZmanGT05 said:
Thanks for all the help keep it coming.I am having second thoughts about my choice.
I have a 05 mineral gray and it does reflect various shades depending on the light sources. The gray looks good with the 20% window tint and the red/gray color interior upgrade package. Mine will be lowered in a couple of weeks. I dont regreat color choose..

Just to confirm this mineral gray color is the same color used on the 2001 - 2003 mustangs. The color code is TK and they typically already have that paint code instock at most Ford Dealers for the touch-up paint bottles. This is not so for the new colors available on the 2005 Mustang.