Mini starter conversion.

6Stang7

Jun 1, 2003
Livermore, CA
I've been doing some research on swapping out the out 4.5 in starter for the mini starter, but I haven't found anything that provides the specifics I am looking for.

I was looking at buying this starter:Mini Starter

First and foremost, will any starter made for a 82-91 Mustang work? I heard that these have a different tooth count and spin in the opposite direction.

Secondly, from the research I have done, it appears that the mini starter needs to be wired up differently then the old one. It sounds like if the current wiring set up is used then there will be induction issues that will cause the starter the run for 2-3 seconds after the ignition switch is rolled back to the run position. If this is the case, does anyone have a wiring diagram?

• Sponsors (?)

That is the same starter I have. If you look at the vehicles on that ebay listing, it should be fairly accurate for donor vehicles at a salvage yard.

Here are a couple threads on wiring Mini Starters:

Starter solenoid problem - Mustang Forums at StangNet

MINI STARTER WIRING??? - Mustang Forums at StangNet

Here is a diagram before (with a standard starter) and after with a ministarter:

MiniStarterChg.jpg

Here is how I did mine. I replaced the fender mounted solenoid with a standard Bosch type relay mounted (behind the firewall).

StarterRelay.jpg

When I swapped in my mini starter, I already had moved my battery and solenoid to the trunk. I was just removing the big unnecessary solenoid. The downside to going with the smaller Bosch type relay is that you now need some place to tie in the all the accessory battery distribution.