Minitub ?'s

'69coupe

Jul 2, 2003
Las Cruces, NM
I have a 69 mustang coupe and want to minitub it, however I cannot find minitubs anywhere for my car. If anyone has done this I would appreciate their input on the project and where they got their minitubs.
Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

My '70 mustang has 28"x10" tires on it. They are close to the springs on the inside and even with the fender on the out side. Any bigger and they would stick out or hit the springs. The wheel wells are not a clearance problem. The wheel well openings will hit in the front of the well if I go with bigger diameter. What I'm saying is I don't think mini tubbing will gain any tire clearance with moving springs and frame rails and cutting out the wheel well opening.

My Fairmont is mini tubbed and has lots of tire clearance. The tubs were full size tubs that have been cut down.
Don't know if this helps. :(

I had planned on a four link suspension and intended on moving the springs, etc. in to give me a little more clearence. The main area where I need more clearence is at the top of the fender well, I want to have the car VERY low and want the tire to have room to travel up and down with the suspension. I am looking to run a 315 width tire or maybe even a 330 width on a 17 inch rim.

I might have to start out with a full sized tub and modify it to my needs as you did. Thanks for the info and reply.

Who on this board had that full tubed out mustang they where working on. Doing all the work themselves? I haven't seem much about that project in a long time. Any one know what/who I'm talking about.

I think I will probably do something very similar to the falcon mentioned above. Cost shouldn't be very high as I will do all of the work and I currently have the care sand blasted and gutted, so I won't be ruining an expensive paint job or going through a lot of prep trouble. It also doesn't look to difficult, at least compared to some of the other things I've had to do to the car. Thanks for the info.

imshaggy2000 said:
Who on this board had that full tubed out mustang they where working on. Doing all the work themselves? I haven't seem much about that project in a long time. Any one know what/who I'm talking about.

Yep...thats racinjason302... he did way way way more work than just a tub. He did a full tube chassis, chassisworks street front end, 4 link, complete sheetmetal interior, 12pt cage, motor plates... he went to a full drag car.

Here´s some pics of how I enlarged my rear wheelwells on my ´67 coupe:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

I have moved the widened inner wheelwell to the framerail. The areas with new sheetmetal are instead of bad earlier rust fixes done by PO:s.

I am going to use 10*15" Weld Wheels with 275-60-15 and needed the extra room. I have also narrowed the rearend and I am working on the fourlink/coilover suspension right now.

I'm bringing this back because I'm about to do it to my fastback and have one concern.

Has anyone done this and had a full interior??

Will the widened fenders allow the side pannels to attach where they are supposto?

Fostang said:
I'm bringing this back because I'm about to do it to my fastback and have one concern.

Will the widened fenders allow the side pannels to attach where they are supposto?

I have the interior back in now, I had to do some minor mods to the seat frame, but that´s about it.

[QUOTE='69coupe]I had planned on a four link suspension and intended on moving the springs, etc. in to give me a little more clearence. The main area where I need more clearence is at the top of the fender well, I want to have the car VERY low and want the tire to have room to travel up and down with the suspension. I am looking to run a 315 width tire or maybe even a 330 width on a 17 inch rim.

I might have to start out with a full sized tub and modify it to my needs as you did. Thanks for the info and reply.[/QUOTE]

You mentioned 4 link and moving leaf springs in for clearance. If you're going to a 4 link, you can't run leaf springs, you'll need coil overs. The rear end has to be able to rotate a certain amount and the leaf springs prevent this.

Fostang said:

I would say it depends on how wide you want the tubs to be. I have about 20" between mine. This picture is not very good. I am in the process of redoing the carpet and all the inside right now. So this is a before shot.

no thats way more than what I plan on doing.

I just want to be able to fit 315 35 17 tires in the rear with a 17x10.5 rim.

I think simply going to where the stock frame is should be enough.

Hakan do you have a pic of how well the rear tires fit now? They are rought about the same size as the tires I want to fit but would like to see how they look. Do you think you have enough room for 2 inches more of tire?

Fostang said:
Hakan do you have a pic of how well the rear tires fit now? They are rought about the same size as the tires I want to fit but would like to see how they look. Do you think you have enough room for 2 inches more of tire?

I´ll go out and take some more pics for you later tonight... I´ll be back.

Fostang said:
no thats way more than what I plan on doing.

I just want to be able to fit 315 35 17 tires in the rear with a 17x10.5 rim.

I think simply going to where the stock frame is should be enough.

This may be a flamable offense but....if all you want to do is run a 315, why not just add some flairs? It would be less expensinve, faster, and easier to do, then when you get the car painted it would give you a different look. You could also match it in the front for a wider offset and/or wider tire for improved cornering.

Just a though....it just seems like an awfully lot of work for such a small gain.

Thanks Hakan.

Dodgestang: The car is completely taken apart nothing is left bolted on so I might as well do it. I also thought of flaring the fenders but prefer to tuck them in. The front rims are going to be 17x9.

It would require a big fender flare to fit 315's They have 12.4 inches of thread. On a 17x10.5 rim

I'm also going to roll the fenders on all 4 corners.

This car has 12" wide tires and full interior.

Originally posted by Inbred-Jed:
My 9" came from a 1969 bronco. It has not been cut or altered in anyway. It fit right under. You are correct, I use a 6.5" backspace. And yes the wheelwell can be altered without messing with the interior. The inner wheelwell is rounded toward the front of the tire keeping it about 3" from the back of the wheelwell. I simply split the wheelwell in half, removed the inner portion along with about 1.5" of floor over to the frame rail. I bought a piece of sheet metal and made a half circle top and a back for it and welded it in place(kinda like a half a tub). I was sure to keep it back far enough for the fiberglass interior to clear it. I actually have room for a slightly wider tire but i liked the look of the 12 so i went with it and it seems to be working.

Inbred-Jed_a.jpg