Minor Accident What Would You Do?

That really sucks you had an accident right after the mess with the quarter window weatherstripping. I still haven't done mine yet

Yeh.. Between tearing up my hands on the weatherstripping (the finger I posted a pix of is now infected.. so now I have to wait for the antibiotics to kick in) , the accident, and having to do my taxes (Ugh!), my wife has been giving me extra space this week.

On the good side though! The guy I had the accident with just showed up at my door and gave me $860 in cash. That was the amount for the middle of the 3 estimates I got. So I guess this has all worked out.

In retrospect I'm not sure whether or not it was worth the risk associated with worrying about if the guy would actually pay up or not, and I probably should have just gone through the insurance company. In theory the situation was pretty cut and dry, and I should have had nothing to lose from reporting it, but my previous experience made me squeamish about whether that would hold or not once the insurance people got involved, since I actually hit him. His insurance company Alfa Specialty Ins, also seems to have a pretty bad rep, so given how this has worked out, at this point I can just arrange to get my bumper touched up, and count myself fairly lucky. I'll just take care of replacing the headlight and park-light replacement myself!

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

We had a work truck broken into in Camden, NJ about a week ago. I called to file a police report. They informed me that they only respond to Homicides and some domestic violence incidents. Any "trivial" claims would not be processed. They said I could petition the officer in charge at the police station but would physically have to drive there to do so... I quit and completely give up on society...

This is why you don't need a gun. The police are here to take care of your safety.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeh.. Between tearing up my hands on the weatherstripping (the finger I posted a pix of is now infected.. so now I have to wait for the antibiotics to kick in) , the accident, and having to do my taxes (Ugh!), my wife has been giving me extra space this week.

On the good side though! The guy I had the accident with just showed up at my door and gave me $860 in cash. That was the amount for the middle of the 3 estimates I got. So I guess this has all worked out.

In retrospect I'm not sure whether or not it was worth the risk associated with worrying about if the guy would actually pay up or not, and I probably should have just gone through the insurance company. In theory the situation was pretty cut and dry, and I should have had nothing to lose from reporting it, but my previous experience made me squeamish about whether that would hold or not once the insurance people got involved, since I actually hit him. His insurance company Alfa Specialty Ins, also seems to have a pretty bad rep, so given how this has worked out, at this point I can just arrange to get my bumper touched up, and count myself fairly lucky. I'll just take care of replacing the headlight and park-light replacement myself!

Ha! That what you get when you ask advice from a forum full of cynics! :rlaugh:

That's awesome. I'm glad you at least got paid. Must be a stand up guy. Most people wouldn't go that far.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
We had a work truck broken into in Camden, NJ about a week ago. I called to file a police report. They informed me that they only respond to Homicides and some domestic violence incidents. Any "trivial" claims would not be processed. They said I could petition the officer in charge at the police station but would physically have to drive there to do so... I quit and completely give up on society...

I live in Spokane Wa and a couple years ago they announced on the local News that there was not enough police to respond to thieves breaking into your home and stealing your valuables nor your missing or broken into vehicles. Thank you Spokane for announcing it to all the criminals that they have a free pass to steal other peoples property without consequence. However there are enough police to arrest a man that shot and killed a guy stealing his SUV from his driveway. You got to protect those criminals rights!! :nonono:

Just lay down America and let thieves steal your property, that's what your expensive insurance is for right? If you use your insurance what happens? Yes, it goes up in cost!! :bang:

If I shoot someone in my house, I'm going to clean up the mess and bury them in the back yard. I'm guess that no one will miss a house thief.

Kurt

If I shoot someone in my house, I'm going to clean up the mess and bury them in the back yard. I'm guess that no one will miss a house thief.

Kurt

Careful, if you get caught the media will make you into a ruthless gun slinging monster and the thief errrrr victim would get memorialized with lots of sad and innocent pictures of him on TV. Oh and you'll be a racist if your "white" and the criminal that picks your house to get shot in is anything other than that.

To the OP, glad you got your money.

Kurt

Grab a knife outta' the kitchen and put it in the intruders hand if no weapons are present, make sure to put the prints on it, then go break the back door glass, door etc if it's not physically damaged. Call the police in panic and say heard back door noise, then say intruder attacked me with a knife and I shot him in self defense. Then you got tape and evidence to back the story up :nice:
Anyone enters my house unlawfully, your human rights are gone, sorry.

Careful, if you get caught the media will make you into a ruthless gun slinging monster and the thief errrrr victim would get memorialized with lots of sad and innocent pictures of him on TV. Oh and you'll be a racist if your "white" and the criminal that picks your house to get shot in is anything other than that.

To the OP, glad you got your money.

This thread has definitely gone in a direction I never expected. But hey, I am finding that this site is educational in so many more ways than I ever imagined.. I really get the impression that some of you have put some careful thought into some of this! Oscar Pistorius should have been on here and consulted with everyone before he shot his GF. He would have probably been in much better shape than he is now.

Grab a knife outta' the kitchen and put it in the intruders hand if no weapons are present, make sure to put the prints on it, then go break the back door glass, door etc if it's not physically damaged. Call the police in panic and say heard back door noise, then say intruder attacked me with a knife and I shot him 7 times plus the round in the breech in self defense. Then you got tape and evidence to back the story up :nice:
Anyone enters my house unlawfully, your human rights are gone, sorry.

fixt for clarity sake :D

Any intruders will be shot in the kitchen. I spent 3 months of my life laying down new laminate floor in the rest of the house, and it is very sensitive to liquids. I will be damned if some asshats blood warps my floor.

Kurt

Any intruders will be shot in the kitchen. I spent 3 months of my life laying down new laminate floor in the rest of the house, and it is very sensitive to liquids. I will be damned if some asshats blood warps my floor.

Kurt

Put on your plastic rain coat, put on some Huey Lewis and the News, put down some plastic and ask the intruder to stand over it and then get busy American Psycho style. Tell the cops you're remodeling.

Last edited:
Love how this thread went from providing unqualified legal advice regarding a minor traffic accident
to instructions for justifiable homicide with zombies thrown in for good measure.

I'll chuck this in for giggles
I've pretty much given up on the police. I'd rather stay home and not deal with any of them.
sage advice indeed.

Which speaks to the more basic issue: this guy you ran into (yeah yeah I know it's not your failure to control vehicle speed because an officer wasn't called to ticket you or ticket him for failure to yield)

It's the fact that rarely do you or anyone else profit from dealing with insurance companies Either! ;)
So, if you can take this guy's money and run, go on take the money and run.