Minority

Status
Not open for further replies.

xc_myers_06

Aug 6, 2004
Nebraska
Hey guys in philosophy we talked about how the minorities now are going to become the majorities and all the white ppl in the u.s. will become the minority in less then 30 years. White people are the minority already in the World but will soon be the minority in the United States. I am White myself and feel a little awkward hearing that. I just hope that the USA doesn't become so populated that we become like China or Mexico where there are WAY, WAY too many people living in too close of a space. I personally don't like to hear that we will become the minority.

• Sponsors (?)

lol, i'm not trying to classify you at all, you just need to realize what you're saying when you say you don't want white people to become a mintory--sounds like you're afriad of a revolution or something (deserved?)

Ram000 said:
lol, i'm not trying to classify you at all, you just need to realize what you're saying when you say you don't want white people to become a mintory--sounds like you're afriad of a revolution or something (deserved?)

:flag: hell ya i am scared of becoming the minority... that would suck...around here (dearborn, sterling heights) we are already the minority and it is like living in a different world man. (b/c many immigrants fly into canada and then cross the border to here) I have a couple freinds that are chaldiens (sp) but most of them are the biggest pieces of $hit ever.. They have NO respect for anyone, try to pick a fight with EVERYONE (only when they are in groups of like 5 or more bc thats the only way they role.) they always talk **** about the U.S and all the people here....well if you dont like it go back to your own fuccking country. my freind went to a heavily populated chaldien school and he said they started fights everyday between them and white/black kids. they think we OWE them something which is complete BUL$HIT. I know we dont have a national language but when you go into a store or restaurant and you CAN'T understand a word they are saying it gets kind of frustrating.. learn the language at least..and i would say 20-30% of stores here are named in different languages. i just dont see why they think they rule the world....every asian i meet seem to be the nicest people in the world.

I.Resources
Http://print.infoplease.com/ipa/A0762156.html
Http://www.prisonpolicy.org
Http://www2.techcentralstation.com/1051/printer.jsp?CID=1051-082504A
Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech
Http://www.2facts.com/TempFiles/ib302690.htm
Http://www.doc.state.ok.us/DOC/OCJRC/OCJRC94/940650k.htm
Http://www.house.gov/Constitution/Amend.html

II. Topic
There has been tons of discussion about the definition of what hate speech is and whether or not it should fall under the protection of the first amendment. If it didn't, laws to regulate it would have to be created. This causes problems in many court cases due to a lack of a definition. Some people feel that hate speech leads acts of violence towards certain groups of people that fall into a different race, ethnicity, or religion. This causing more violence and crime in the United States. Others feel that speech is a way to express their thoughts and feelings to others.

III. Extended Definition
In the first amendment it states, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.” Due to this amendment being written so long ago people feel that it is outdated and should be updated. Others feel that if it is re-written their rights will start to be revoked.
In some countries hate speech is an criminal offense and falls under the incitement to hatred legislation. In the United Kingdom, racial hatred is a criminal offense that is under the Public Order Act of 1986. Anyone convicted can face a sentence of up to seven years in prison. In 2003 a Pentecostalist preacher out of Sweden spoke of homosexuality as “abnormal, a horrible cancerous tumor in the body of society.” Ake Green was sentenced to a month in prison under a law which was passed in 2002 that made it a criminal offense to say anything rude about woman, non-whites, non-Christians, or any other ethical group. This legislation is not used in the United States due to the peoples right to free speech, which hate speech fall under.

IV. Process Analysis
In the United States hate speech falls under the first amendment and should be kept legal. Speech itself cannot make someone physically pick up a weapon and cause acts of violence upon another individual. It provides individuals an alternative view on different subjects. Some which are true, some which are of theory. What they decide to do with the information that was given in the speech is completely up to the individual that heard the speech. If they were offended by the speech they have the right to leave.
Groups such as the Ku Klux Klan practice the first amendment at every meeting they hold. While cross burning has been outlawed, they provide information to others of why blacks, Hispanics, and other races should be driven out of the country which is still protected by the first amendment. Most of their information given in the speeches at these meetings are based on true facts, such as ones related in the example and graphs below.
It is has been proved that there are approximately six times more blacks than whites in correctional facilities. The United States population is made up of 80.4% whites and 12.8% blacks (The remaining 6.8% is made up of other racial groups). Even though whites out number blacks at a scale of about six to one, more blacks are in prison. Other studies also show a greater number of blacks in prison than whites. This is a true fact that the Ku Klux Klan can use in a hate speech and still be protected by the first amendment.

V. Graphs
[Please see attached image]

These numbers are based per every 100,000 people of each race.

VI. Conclusion
The first amendment does not need to be updated or redefined due to hate speech. People with true facts should be allowed to make any type of speech they want. If someone gives misleading opinions to a group of people they should be arrested or fined for trying to pass their opinions as true facts.
If people still feel offended by the facts that are stated in the hate speech they should find a way to change or live with what they have done. If they wish to try to fix the problem they can possibly come to a conclusion with the person or group that is against them. Without a reasonable end to the problem it will only continue and grow.

Attachments

• Population Chart.JPG
    Population Chart.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 81
WTF is your philosophy class talking about?

ACTUAL statistics:

According to the 2005 CIA World Fact (an official statistics agency), America is:

White
81.7% or 216 million, (Including Hispanics and those of Middle Eastern and North African descent)

69% (Excluding Hispanics but including Middle Easterners, North Africans, and others who checked "Some other race" in the Census)

Hispanics 14.1% or 41.3 million

Black or African American 12.9% or 36.4 million,

Asian 4.2% or 11.9 million,

American Indian 1.5% or 4.1 million,

Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander 0.2%

Two or more races 2.4%

A separate listing for Hispanics is not included because the Census Bureau considers Hispanic to mean a person of Latin American descent (especially of Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, or Dominican origin) who may be of any race or ethnic group.

However, in mid-2004, the data from the Census Bureau, many independent study and survery groups and news agencies found that people of Hispanic culture and origin, immigrants from Latin America and their progeny, now compose 14% of the American population, exceeding the African American population to become America's largest de facto ethnic minority. While this may not be accepted demographically, its main importance is political, since the political and social expression of Latin American communities exceeds national and racial boundaries, united by a common language and the Catholic faith.

The Census Bureau's definition of "white" is not the definition most widely used by the U.S. people as a whole. Most Americans define "white" to exclude all Hispanics, even those of foreign European descent. Using that definition, the white proportion of the U.S. population is currently at 69.1%.

So let's see....69% of the US population is white and the closest racial group to this is Hispanic at 14%.

To me, it doesn't look like whitey is losing it's grip anytime soon...

Oh Christ...you've been listening to too many campus radicals.

Other races coming here is a good thing...I'd wager that your own ancestry is not native to the US, right?

Those who have the balls to immigrate here are usually the brightest, most clever, resolute, and strong willed of their race and help to contribute to the US's longterm greatness.

Status
Not open for further replies.