Misfire After Timing And Head Gasket Replacement

Ferdy

Jun 5, 2012
Hi guys,

I am new here and hope someone can help me out with my problem I am having with my 1995 Mustang V6.

Her is what happend, I purchased the mustang with a overheating problem.
The problem was in a blown head gasket. Replaced all upper engine gaskets and flattened the cylinder heads.
Just to be sure I also changed the water pump.

Behind the water pump is the timing cover. That was leak water trough it's gasket so I had to pull it of the engine to replace the gasket. While everything was of the car, I also put on a new timing chain, sprockets and tensioner.

After all the parts being replaced and put back on the car (also did a tune up on spark plugs, wires, olie and air filter, belt tensioner and belt.

Then I started her back up. It ran very rough and was rocking all over. After a vacuum problem solved it ran a bit better, but still not good. Also it died a couple of times.

The code a got was a random misfire code. I changed back the new (Motorcraft) plugs for the old ones.
Now I am only having a misfire code of cylinder #5. But can not get it running smooth again.

Before I got working on the car it ran very good and smooth it only had the over heating problem.

Hope someone can help me out! Much thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Have you let the engine get to normal operating temperature? Sometimes a lifter will get pumped up and not let the valve close all of the way and it takes letting the engine getting up to temp before it will bleed down and let the valve close. Did you gap the spark plugs right? if the plug got dropped, it could have closed up the gap and you now have no spark on that cylinder.

I did have the engine go to normal temp. But there is also a unknown knocking / ticking come out of the engine that was not there before. So I was thinking about the same lifter. But after the engine was at normal temp. It did not get away.
The plug gaps where all good but if you ask me I think the new plugs that had just been in for 5 / 10 minutes where a bit black. Now back with the old plugs in, it runs much better but not good jet.

Probelm solved!!!

I made a very simple and stupid fault. On the ignition module the numbing goes 1,2,3,4,6,5.
I connected the cables 1,2,3,4,5,6. There was my problem. Thanks for helping anyway.

Yep that's the same thought I had! But she is running very smooth now even with the old plugs in.
Will be changing back to the new plug tomorrow. I'm sure it will run even better with the new ones.

Thanks for helping