Missing Options?

I'm not sure if it is the same way in the Mustang's message center, but in the 2004 F-150 (at least the Lariat) you can scroll through the options and there is a compass in there. I haven't got to play with the Mustang much yet, but you would figure that it would have one too.

Oh, and t-tops would be kind of cool...I'm not sure how white trash that would be...But it would be a good option if you didn't want the full drop top. Sunroofs do look kind of weird on Mustangs (especially those manual pop up ones).

• Sponsors (?)

I bought a compass mirror for my 2003 Ranger. It was in the accessory book from ford. It tells outside temp and direction. It was a universal fit and looks factory. Oh ya, it also has the auto dimming feature. I think it cost around $150. I love it and would buy it again.

Den

StangDiego said:
I'm not sure if it is the same way in the Mustang's message center, but in the 2004 F-150 (at least the Lariat) you can scroll through the options and there is a compass in there. I haven't got to play with the Mustang much yet, but you would figure that it would have one too.

Oh, and t-tops would be kind of cool...I'm not sure how white trash that would be...But it would be a good option if you didn't want the full drop top. Sunroofs do look kind of weird on Mustangs (especially those manual pop up ones).
nope,, no compass there , like the F150 did,,,

I'm with you on the T-Tops option

Man. I want some T-tops on the 05 so bad. I've seen the glasstop roof that CDC putout to mimic the prototype version and looking at that says T-tops or a targa roof would look so right on this 'Stang.

If they can have Targa tops on Vettes, the NSX and previous generation Supras and T-tops on Camaros and Trans-Ams, I think Ford could make the Mustang stiff enough to handle them. If everyone was so worried about flex in their Mustangs they wouldn't offer convertibles.

Also, I don't know about the compass thing, but I agree with the people who were hoping for more options in their 'Stang. Although I like the 05 exterior, I was sad to see the interior in the production model. To me its a pretty sad day to get a better interior in a work truck like the F-150 than in a Mustang!

I was also hoping to get some options that didn't come in my 01 like XM satellite radio, DVD navigation, a 6speed tranny and steering wheel radio controls. Since they would be options, they would only drive up the price of the car if you opted for them. Heck, you can get steering wheel audio controls in a lowly Suzuki subcompact, a 6 speed in a Hyundai Tiburon and the little Mazda 3 even has navigation as an option!

Just my 2 cents. Back to lurking :)

WOW! I didn't realize my post would draw this much response. As far as the cost of a compass - my nephew used to work for Jentech (at least I think that's how you spell it) when they came out with the auto-dimming mirror w/ compass & temp for the Cadillac. GM bought it for $75 each and sold them as a $350 option back in the early 90's. They also had the receiver for the keyless entry built in as well. I've got to believe that they would be better & cheaper now - so an option or feature like this should have very little effect on the cost. If Ford hasn't seen the light on this by the time I get my Mustang I may go the route of Den who got one from Ford for $150. :hail2:

I'm glad to see that so many agree that there should something (sunroof or t-tops) for those not interested in a convertible. I hope Ford will at least look into this as well. :)

Thanks for all the responses! This must be the best Mustang web-site on the planet! :nice:

TomServo92 said:
One of those came standard on my Mazda 6. The compass is OK but I could live without it. The auto-dimming is sweet and I love Homelink because I never have to worry about dead batteries in my garage door opener.

You can easily add on a auto dimming mirror with compass, outside temperature and Home Link to your 2005 Mustang. http://www.mitocorp.com/homelink_mirrors.htm

Many vehicles come with these mirrors, probably the exact same mirror on Tom's Mazda 6. Some of them are even sold through Ford parts at your dealer.

For those like Tom who don't like the compass, there is a model w/o the compass but everything else

95Nelson said:
WOW! I didn't realize my post would draw this much response. As far as the cost of a compass - my nephew used to work for Jentech (at least I think that's how you spell it) when they came out with the auto-dimming mirror w/ compass & temp for the Cadillac. GM bought it for $75 each and sold them as a $350 option back in the early 90's. They also had the receiver for the keyless entry built in as well. I've got to believe that they would be better & cheaper now - so an option or feature like this should have very little effect on the cost. If Ford hasn't seen the light on this by the time I get my Mustang I may go the route of Den who got one from Ford for $150. :hail2:

I'm glad to see that so many agree that there should something (sunroof or t-tops) for those not interested in a convertible. I hope Ford will at least look into this as well. :)

Thanks for all the responses! This must be the best Mustang web-site on the planet! :nice:

This IS the best Mustang forum on the planet Kiddo!
Also here's the link to Ford's parts online where you can see how much they charge for the mirror/compass/homelink

BTW, as far as the compass goes, its alright. If you need to depend on a compass all the time, then you got problems. What the heck are street signs for?(unless you live in rural areas). The temperature is nice though. I hate stupid weather men. I'm assuming that the auto-dimming is when it darkens when hit with bright headlights? That would be kinda convenient but I have never seen it in person. :shrug:

Mr_dcj2001 said:
I'm assuming that the auto-dimming is when it darkens when hit with bright headlights? That would be kinda convenient but I have never seen it in person. :shrug:

The mirror automatically darkens when it gets dark outside. My Lincoln LS has auto dimming on both the inside rear-view mirror and the driver's side outside rear-view mirror. The auto-dimming mirrors work pretty well, they are a nice feature.

351CJ said:
The mirror automatically darkens when it gets dark outside. My Lincoln LS has auto dimming on both the inside rear-view mirror and the driver's side outside rear-view mirror. The auto-dimming mirrors work pretty well, they are a nice feature.

The auto-dimming is great! You really appreciate when some bubba in a jacked-up 4X4 comes behind you and his headlights are hitting square in the rear-view. That used to drive me nuts before I got the Mazda but now it's no big deal.