MM panhard and exhaust clearance, soild answers?

2000xp8

SN Certified Technician
Aug 8, 2003
NJ
Well, i've searched and searched and have not found anyone that has a definitive answer to whether the exhausts that MM suggests truly fit with a PHB.
They say to use Flowmaster or Dynomax, neither of which i really want, but for now i could use one, then when ready, swap of the mufflers at a custom shop.

I have the old FM kit, but MM told me it was revised a few years back. I know for sure it doesn't work, the top goes in, but the down side behind the axle hits the phb keeping it from going into the vertical position i need.

MM suggests that these 2 are the only ones that follow the exact factory routing.

My 10 year old fm kit isn't worth the money to modify.

I've read a dozen posts where people tried this or that with bassani and magnaflow, and each time they required significant modifcation to work.

I'd really just like to bolt it in at this point.

• Sponsors (?)

if you have it on your car then you'd know if it would fit or not, i have it and personally i dont see how any kit would just bolt up, maybe a little finagling of pipes will get them all to fit but i dont think its possible to just bolt a kit up

if you have it on your car then you'd know if it would fit or not, i have it and personally i dont see how any kit would just bolt up, maybe a little finagling of pipes will get them all to fit but i dont think its possible to just bolt a kit up

Well, as far as it being on the car, i called FM yesterday and they said the kit had been revised from since when i got it, although they could not provide any further info. Kinda sounded like i was talking to a kid who just got his license yesterday.
In pictures of the FM kit online, it does appear the rear tubes aren't as steep, but who knows that could just be the angles.

In my searches i found a guy that used the dynomax tailpipes, he said that they fit, although he made it sound like the lx parts of the tails were twisted improperly so the hangers didn't work. I think what he did was cut the straight part off his old and exhaust and had it welded on.

As far as finaggling, the FM kit appears to be a whole bunch of pieces which always makes fitment easier, unfortunately they told me the only section that is not prewelded is the part where it connects to the muffler itself.

Well, as far as it being on the car, i called FM yesterday and they said the kit had been revised from since when i got it, although they could not provide any further info. Kinda sounded like i was talking to a kid who just got his license yesterday.
In pictures of the FM kit online, it does appear the rear tubes aren't as steep, but who knows that could just be the angles.

In my searches i found a guy that used the dynomax tailpipes, he said that they fit, although he made it sound like the lx parts of the tails were twisted improperly so the hangers didn't work. I think what he did was cut the straight part off his old and exhaust and had it welded on.

As far as finaggling, the FM kit appears to be a whole bunch of pieces which always makes fitment easier, unfortunately they told me the only section that is not prewelded is the part where it connects to the muffler itself.
that may be helpful when trying to fit the kit makes for angling the pipes better, i purchased my stuff late last year so i have the revised version, but it still looks tight up there, so im running a side exhaust setup

I have a MM panhard bar on my 86 GT. I just replaced the dyno max with a new set of dyno max, no problems with fitting with either set, the first set finnaly rusted out and needed to be replaced. The 86GT uses the straight pipes like later model LXes. 2 1/2 inch size. I'm happy with the setup.

I have a MM panhard bar on my 86 GT. I just replaced the dyno max with a new set of dyno max, no problems with fitting with either set, the first set finnaly rusted out and needed to be replaced. The 86GT uses the straight pipes like later model LXes. 2 1/2 inch size. I'm happy with the setup.

You have a model number?
Seems there is like 10 dynomax kits.
Thanks,
Joe

I had tailpipes on my 89 mustang coupe but and i had the full panhard and torque arm setup from MM. I have pictures of how it was routed but, it was very complex it went up at a 90 degree then nearly straight down. No direct bolt on tailpipe kit will fit with the suspension but, it can be welded to work.

I went through this too, call MM and they said that basically, if you can get a muffler shop to extend the upper part of the pipe where it goes above the axle, you can get pretty much any exhaust to fit.

The tech i talked to had that suspension with a Bassani catback, which was my setup at the time, and he assured me that it was pretty minimal work for a reputable muffler shop.

Although this phone call was a week before i ripped the bassani off the car and it was pinned underneath like a pretzel. So a stock catback from a 2002 GT is on the car now, and its quiet as hell. But it does fit perfectly.