Progress Thread Cobra Rack In...Still Have Steering Slop

It rides so much nicer than previously. I don't really have anything else to compare it to as far as performance. The previous setup was so badly rotten that I had no traction at all, the wheels would slip so badly it felt like driving on ice. I'll post some pictures of the stance later.

• Sponsors (?)

I had my subframe welded in this week and installed my stifflers transmission cross member. I drove it home today and the car felt extremely solid, couldn't really get a great feel as the roads were wet. There was a noticable steering wheel shake when idling with the clutch in, it will go away wit clutch out in neutral. Time for a new clutch?

My xterra snapped a the timing belt, on the way to the dealership be evaluated for trade in. What a kick in the dick. So the fox is temporarily on daily driver duty. I trust you guys with the mustang so I need some advice on a used pickup. Needs to be double cab 4x4 under 20k. And please don't say a Nissan.

Last edited:
1999- 2001 ford f250 or f350 with 7.3l turbo diesel. That's what I'd recommend. That truck will do everything you'd ever need it to.

Reactions: 1 user
Problem is most dealers won't have one of those sitting on the lot. If he needs to trade in a car, that may be a factor.

Then again, when my Infiniti broke and I didn't want to fix it, they wouldn't even take it in as trade. I had to sell it myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Push, pull, or tow. They'll take anything....question is how much they'll give for it. Wish you luck getting something else.

If you have to do a lot of towing a 7.3 powerstroke is indeed your best choice.. however, if you don't tow or haul extremely large loads, the diesel is a VERY poor choice. Maintanence on those big trucks is VERY costly. An oil change is 15 quarts, plus filter, plus fuel filters that have to be changed regularly. Brake parts are twice what a 1/2 ton costs, and large trucks wear tires way faster as well. WAY faster. The stories about diesels getting better mpg are mostly BS, and diesel, at least in my area is more expensive than gasoline. My brother has a powerstroke, and let me tell you, it's thirsty.

That said, the 5.4L 2v and 3v F150 trucks are proven to be good for 300k miles. The fuel milage isn't great compared to the other brand trucks of similar payload, but the engines really do run forever. It's what I settled on after wanting a diesel for a long while, it's just that after putting pencil to paper the extra money for the diesel wasn't worth it... and after watching several family members and friends (with service trucks)put 300k on 5.4's and still pass emissions testing.. That's impressive as heck. An LS engine won't do that, the dang lifters give out at 150k.

Reactions: 1 users
If you have to do a lot of towing a 7.3 powerstroke is indeed your best choice.. however, if you don't tow or haul extremely large loads, the diesel is a VERY poor choice. Maintanence on those big trucks is VERY costly. An oil change is 15 quarts, plus filter, plus fuel filters that have to be changed regularly. Brake parts are twice what a 1/2 ton costs, and large trucks wear tires way faster as well. WAY faster. The stories about diesels getting better mpg are mostly BS, and diesel, at least in my area is more expensive than gasoline. My brother has a powerstroke, and let me tell you, it's thirsty.

That said, the 5.4L 2v and 3v F150 trucks are proven to be good for 300k miles. The fuel milage isn't great compared to the other brand trucks of similar payload, but the engines really do run forever. It's what I settled on after wanting a diesel for a long while, it's just that after putting pencil to paper the extra money for the diesel wasn't worth it... and after watching several family members and friends (with service trucks)put 300k on 5.4's and still pass emissions testing.. That's impressive as heck. An LS engine won't do that, the dang lifters give out at 150k.
I never updated after this. This is what I picked up back in October, and thankfully the GT was only the daily driver for a week before it went hibernate.

IMG_1298.JPG

Anyway, finally out of hibernation. Brown truck came and delivered some goodies yesterday. Brakes will be getting done this weekend, and some gauges to complete the three gauge cluster underneath the radio which I finally installed after having it for a year.

IMG_2112.JPG

IMG_2114.JPG

Reactions: 3 users
Gauges are in. They are working and the car hasn't caught on fire yet, so I think I did it right :shrug:. It's nice to finally have a real stereo and a radio that gets more than one channel. Eventually I would like to upgrade the speakers. Nothing crazy just replace the stock ones with quality pieces. Oh and new pony floor mats which look great.

IMG_2116.JPG

IMG_2121.JPG

Reactions: 5 users
Started in on front brakes today. New rotors and bearings and MM brake upgrade kit. Didn't have time to get the pads and calipers back on. Tomorrow is another day. And apparently we are doing the sideways phot thing again.

IMG_2273.JPG

IMG_2283.JPG

Reactions: 3 users
Lol, so red brakes on all four corners will cut at least a tenth off of your 60' time then?:shrug:

Purdy brakes and rotors btw.:nice:

Thanks, not as purdy as real brakes like @Mustang5L5. Also don't know if you will really see them behind the ponys. I did however find a set of old school 17 inch ROH ZS wheels that I think would fit nicely, not sure about them on a white fox though.

Reactions: 2 users