Mod Motor Guru's, PLEASE share your knowledge.....

85 Coupe 5.0

Founding Member
Dec 18, 2001
Kansas
why did Ford have to mix up the 4.6's so much...........

Anyhow, just received one of my PI heads today, casting number is: RF-1L2E-6090-D24D.

Now, after searching all over the internet, i am still finding conflicting information about this head...

I know it's a PI by the shape of the intake ports. Although it doesn't say PI anywhere on it. The combustion chambers are heart shaped. Other than that, i have no friggin clue, can somebody PLEASE clarify this for me?

I also know it's a Romeo head by the number of valve cover bolts.

Is it the same as a Romeo Mustang PI?('01-'04)

• Sponsors (?)

I was under the impression that Romeo was used only in 99 and 00. Here's a pic of my PI intake and exhaust. Year of heads is 2001.

i1.jpg

e3.jpg

Hope this helps.

85 Coupe 5.0 said:
why did Ford have to mix up the 4.6's so much...........

Anyhow, just received one of my PI heads today, casting number is: RF-1L2E-6090-D24D.

Now, after searching all over the internet, i am still finding conflicting information about this head...

I know it's a PI by the shape of the intake ports. Although it doesn't say PI anywhere on it. The combustion chambers are heart shaped. Other than that, i have no friggin clue, can somebody PLEASE clarify this for me?

I also know it's a Romeo head by the number of valve cover bolts.

Is it the same as a Romeo Mustang PI?('01-'04)

From the casting number, the head you have is a Romeo PI.

CanadaStang said:
99'-00' Mustangs had the Windsor heads. Here's a link to everything you ever wanted to know about Windsor and Romeo engines:
http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/eb40228.htm

Checked that site out already, excellent resource, thanks!

Yes, '99 and '00 Mustang 4.6's were Windsor's. '96-'98 and '01-'04 were Romeo's. You can tell the differences from Romeo to Windsor heads by the camshaft cap styles. The "ladder" caps were Romeo heads, and the individual caps were Windsor heads.

My main question, did all Romeo PI castings have the same combustion chamber CC's? I have read some conflicting numbers in factory ford service manuals, can anyone clarify from experience?

CanadaStang said:
From the casting number, the head you have is a Romeo PI.

That's kinda my conclusion also.

I know the head is probably of an Explorer around '02 or mid year '01, so the cam is different than a stang. Is everything else on the head the same as a Stang? Valve sizes, combustion chamber volume, rocker ratio?

Also, can you reverse these heads like the old 5.0's and such? It looks like the castings will reverse no problem as long as you use the right cam on the side it's made for.

I really appreciate all your posts so far, thanks for helpin out a newbie in the 4.6 world!

blackfang said:
get on aim and ask markwondi and tell him I sent ya;)

Possibly the second smartest guy other than Johnny Langton on the mod motors

markwondi is it? you said AIM, i'm kinda out of the instant message world, but what is that? :rolleyes:

Thanks for helpin me out on this, really appreciate it!

mrvax said:
I was under the impression that Romeo was used only in 99 and 00. Here's a pic of my PI intake and exhaust. Year of heads is 2001.

i1.jpg

e3.jpg

Hope this helps.

helps out a lot, by lookin at the pics, that's the same casting number I have.

so it's for sure a PI! :D

85 Coupe 5.0 said:
Checked that site out already, excellent resource, thanks!

Yes, '99 and '00 Mustang 4.6's were Windsor's. '96-'98 and '01-'04 were Romeo's. You can tell the differences from Romeo to Windsor heads by the camshaft cap styles. The "ladder" caps were Romeo heads, and the individual caps were Windsor heads.

My main question, did all Romeo PI castings have the same combustion chamber CC's? I have read some conflicting numbers in factory ford service manuals, can anyone clarify from experience?
Yes I believe so, if I remember correctly the combustion chamber is 42cc and the port volume is 152cc. FRPP did make heads that has 51cc chambers, 173cc intake ports, and 206 cfm at .500-inch lift. The downside to the FRPP head is incompatibility with '99-and-up SOHC induction systems.

CanadaStang said:
Yes I believe so, if I remember correctly the combustion chamber is 42cc and the port volume is 152cc. FRPP did make heads that has 51cc chambers, 173cc intake ports, and 206 cfm at .500-inch lift. The downside to the FRPP head is incompatibility with '99-and-up SOHC induction systems.

Cool, so basically it's safe to say that if it's a PI casting, which my 1L2E-D24D is, than it has to have the smaller combustion chamber.

The only reason I question this is because i've seen factory manuals that state the Explorer having 51cc chambers in '02, but could this info be incorrect?

Does anyone know?

85 Coupe 5.0 said:
markwondi is it? you said AIM, i'm kinda out of the instant message world, but what is that? :rolleyes:

Thanks for helpin me out on this, really appreciate it!
Aol instant messenger. You can also reach him on Modular depot under that name and he is Myslow2002GT on Mustangworld. One of the smartest 2v guys I know and has built quite a few 11 second NA 2v's with some of the NMRA guys.

85 Coupe 5.0 said:
That's kinda my conclusion also.

I know the head is probably of an Explorer around '02 or mid year '01, so the cam is different than a stang. Is everything else on the head the same as a Stang? Valve sizes, combustion chamber volume, rocker ratio?

Also, can you reverse these heads like the old 5.0's and such? It looks like the castings will reverse no problem as long as you use the right cam on the side it's made for.

I really appreciate all your posts so far, thanks for helpin out a newbie in the 4.6 world!
I do believe they are the same heads as the Explorer,[but the Explorer had an aluminum block and a different intake] and
yup the heads themselves are the same for both sides, you just have to reverse everything.

85 Coupe 5.0 said:
Cool, so basically it's safe to say that if it's a PI casting, which my 1L2E-D24D is, than it has to have the smaller combustion chamber.

The only reason I question this is because i've seen factory manuals that state the Explorer having 51cc chambers in '02, but could this info be incorrect?

Does anyone know?
Yup!! Not sure why the Explorer would be listed at 51cc as it's the same head.

CanadaStang said:
Yup!! Not sure why the Explorer would be listed at 51cc as it's the same head.

That's what I couldn't figure out, prolly just a misprint or something, as the head has a closed heart-shaped chamber and the correct intake ports. I was sure all Romeo PI's were the same, as far as 4.6's go anyhow.

Excellent, thanks for all the info so far, it helps clear up the confusion a LOT.

So, from what i've learned so far...

1. All Romeo PI's have the same CC combustion chamber.
2. Heads can be reversed as long as all plugs are observed and the camshaft is changed.
3. The 1L2E-D24D casting I have is the same as a Mustang PI head, minus the exploere cam I have in mine.

Sounds solid so far guys, thanks!

85 Coupe 5.0 said:
That's what I couldn't figure out, prolly just a misprint or something, as the head has a closed heart-shaped chamber and the correct intake ports. I was sure all Romeo PI's were the same, as far as 4.6's go anyhow.

Excellent, thanks for all the info so far, it helps clear up the confusion a LOT.

So, from what i've learned so far...

1. All Romeo PI's have the same CC combustion chamber.
2. Heads can be reversed as long as all plugs are observed and the camshaft is changed.
3. The 1L2E-D24D casting I have is the same as a Mustang PI head, minus the exploere cam I have in mine.

Sounds solid so far guys, thanks!
You got it!! One more thing though, Ford added a few more threads to hold the spark plug on the 04' heads[b/c of some issues of blowing out plugs] other than that, the Romeos are the same.

tomustang said:
Best way to answer a question :rolleyes:

Maybe everyone here should redirect answers to other sites.
I am giving him a connection to someone who has torn the motors apart and has built several 11 second NA GT motors for the NMRA and FFW guys. Plus the fact he has connections and helps out with some of the other engine builders like Al papito, VT Engines, etc.

He wanted help and I am telling him who one of the best is out there. The fact is the guy knows his *****. Would you ask a guy at Jiffy Lube how to build a 11 second naturally aspirated 2v or a guy who does it for a living for some of the NMRA and FFW guys?