mod motor in classic

a friend wrecked his 2010 mustang, he called me up, trying to talk me in to buying his motor and tranny for my 67. i have never really thought about it before. is a mod motor to wide to fit between the shock towers of a 67?

• Sponsors (?)

the mod motor in the 2010 mustang will fit between the shock towers of the 67-73 mustangs. it will be as tight a fit as putting in an FE engine, but it is doable.

rbohm, are you sure ? From what I was told, the new 5.0 is the same physical dimensions as the 4.6L. I was under the impression you had to at a minimum notch the shock towers to fit the 4.6L.

Either way, I'd like to see that. I have seen the Mod 4.6 DOHC in a 66, and even with the shock towers gone, there was only a few inches to spare. Hopefully, someone has photos. I found one.

Dynacorn makes a notched tower to clear large engines, but since the top is retained, you could still use an export brace, and strut type (instead of the Mustang II type) suspension.

mump_0711_21_z+1967_replacement_body_mustang+fresh_engine.jpg

I've seen some of these, but I still don't really get it...I guess it's cool because of the technology, and for sure it's different. I still prefer the plain, old fashioned, pushrod and carburetor set up. A proven winner for many years.
And at least it is still a Ford power plant. I REALLY get PO'ed when I see an LS motor in any Ford product.
Or, for that matter, any GM engine in any thing other than gm products.......

rbohm, are you sure ? From what I was told, the new 5.0 is the same physical dimensions as the 4.6L. I was under the impression you had to at a minimum notch the shock towers to fit the 4.6L.

the 4.6 is the same width as the 460, and that behemoth fits in the 67-73 mustangs nicely, though with little room to spare. i have seen swaps done with the 67-70 stangs using the stock shock towers, and with the 4.6 mod motor.

I was hesitant at first. Always been a carb guy and grew up in the 5.0 error when the fox bodies ruled the streets. I still own a 95 gt 5.0 that i drive daily and had a 351w in my 65 before restoring it. We decided to install a 4.6 DOHC from a 03 Cobra into the 65 during my rebuild. It was the best decision i made in awhile. The next car i build will have another mod motor in it. Good luck.