Modification Survey Thread

my .02...

Flowtech Xpipe if you cant find one used and cheap leave it alone! its not worth the $200 Summit sells it for. mine had to be cut apart and re-welded to fit my car properly.

Steeda Pulleys & T/A best bang for the buck you can get... short of gears. these two mods are proven to work and you'll definatily notice the difference in performance.

4.10 Gears i wish i jumped straight to 4.30s... :(

Drag Suspension i have Steeda Hardcore LCAs, Steeda HD UCAs, Steeda SFCs, (Fox)Lakewood 90/10s, Fox springs (4cyl fronts and V8s rears cut 3/4), Centerline Telstars, M/T ET Streets, and Removed Swaybars. if your into the 1320 like i am this type of set-up cant be beat. my beast 60' has been 1.68...

Listening to Well Informed Advice there is no pricetag for this. you have to use your head and realize who the BS'ers are and seperate yourself from them. once you learn a thing or two from experience attempt to help the peeps that are just starting out fresh.

Summary these 5 mods have gotten my ETs from low 14s to 12.83/105 in less than a years time, and there is still room for improvment as my car sits... if you are into the drags, they will work for you too.

-Mike

• Sponsors (?)

Engine Mods: Manley Rods and Pistons (stock compression). SHM cams, Saleen supercharger kit, 66mm blower pulley, Cobra Oil pump with SHM gears, Canton Oil pan and windage tray, 42lb injectors, 90 mm Lightning MAF, Fluidyne 3 core radiator.

Exhaust: JBA shorties – being swapped for Hooker Long tubes. Bassanni off road X – Dynomax ultra flow cat back.

Suspension Mods: Steeda sport springs, 03 Cobra Bilstein struts, Heavy duty Bilstein shocks in the back. Kenny brown heavy-duty sub frame connectors. FMS 4.10 gears, TA Differential cover. Waiting to be installed 03 Cobra front brakes.

Drivetrain Mods: Fidenza aluminum flywheel, 03 Cobra clutch, pressure plate and T/O bearing. FMS Aluminum drive shaft, PRO 5.0 shifter.

Fuel System: 03 Cobra pump and tank.

Body kit mods: Xenon front spoiler, Steeda race wing, MACH1 hood (waiting to be installed), Stainless bumper letters, and MGW Fuel door.

Interior Mods: FR500 seats and steering wheel. Hurst shifter handle, Roush gauges, MACH 1 bezel, MGW stuff, Custom Alpine stereo system, MACH 1 sill plates.

Summary: I’m a mod whore.

Re: 2001 Cobra 'vert

Originally posted by whitesnake
FR500 Cat Back exhaust: Overall I'm happy with it. It was a bit pricey, but I like the fact it's from Ford Racing. I had someone do the install, but it lookes super easy, only took about 20 minutes. Understated sound just cruising around, but wakes up when you get on it.

Steeda U/D pullies: As above, I'm not sure if I got much from this, can't feel it much. I haven't had the car dyno'd since it was stock. Good directions with them, had my brother-in-law help me out with the install.

Steeda tri-ax shifter: Highly recommended. Shifting feels much more solid now. I haven' missed a shift since I put this on. Easy install & I don't even change my own oil.

C&L Mass air meter: Another very easy install, got a little different sound from it, but I guess it might have just been from the K&N filter. Seems to accelerate a little quicker now. Overall I am pleased with it, it was a bit cheaper than the pro-m.

The rest of the stuff I have done has been cosmetic so I won't mention them here, but they are all in my sig & I would recommend them.

I thought I would give a update:
Magnaflow X-pipe with cats: Looked like a easy install (with a lift & the right tools) and it really woke up the car!! I love them. The car is not real loud with this exhaust combo, but I didn't want a real loud one. Smooth at idle, little louder than stock, but jump on the throttle & it wakes up then. There is louder set ups to get, but I am very happy with this setup.

Originally posted by vipergts281

Spoiler Moved Back- Very easy to do. Just a bit nerve racking taking a drill to a perfectly good car. I feel it looks 100 times better than stock. I would definitely recommend this mod as it is simple and makes the car look alot better. [/B]

Heh, try cutting a 16 inch hole in your hood for a shaker! :nonono: SCARY.

Okay, my short list:

Bassani Catback & Cat X-Pipe :
I did these together, so I can't really say how they act individually. Together they produce GREAT sound and a nice mile kick in the seat.

KB Super Subframe Connectors :
Stiffen things up nicely. Not a huge difference, but helps with rattles, squeaks, and frame & body alignment later in the car's life.

Steeda Sport Springs :
Nice lowering and stiffening effect. The stock struts & shocks are underdamped with the springs though, so I'll be going to Bilsteins ASAP. They also wacked out my alignment, so MM CC plates are on the way...

Steeda Pulleys :
Wow, big jump with these. I felt it right away and it felt nice. I'd say 10rwhp minimum.

4.10 Gears :
Now we're talking. I was scared of the steep gears but went for it. There's no way I would have been satisfied with 3.73 on an NA car! The highway rpms are fine, traction is good, I'd drive the car anywhere in any weather except ice.

Autologic Chip :
Got it at the same time as the gears, so it's hard to tell. The timing is at 14*, so I know there's a power jump there. It also corrects the speedo, turns off the traction control, and eliminates the SES light from my X-pipe. Add up all the parts to do all of that individually (SpeedCalc, MIL elims, Timing Aduster), and the chip looks pretty cheap!

1996 GT

ATI Procharger P1SC

This has been a frustrating exercise to date. Each and every part seemed to need a lot of motivation to fit. When the install was done the intake manifold blew under only moderate boost. It is back together but I am afraid its going to take a better mechanic than me to make it run the way it should.

MY MODS

SO FAR I HAVE THE FOLLOWING:

BBK OFFROAD X PIPE
FORD RACING CAT BACK
IE. THE EXPIPE IS GREAT NOTICED DEFINATE HORSEPOWER INCREASE AND IT SHOWED ON THE DYNO. THE FORD RACING CAT BACK IS GOOD BUT DID NOT MATCH UP WITH THE XPIPE WHICH CREATED AN EXHAUST LEAK SO I HAD TO GET IT WELDED. IF YOUR LOOKING FOR A DIFFERENT SOUND THAN FLOWMASTER ITS GREAT. SOUNDS LIKE A NASCAR.

MAC CHROME INTAKE

GOOD INVESTEMENT HELPED IN THE HIGHER RPMS AND GOT RID OF THE SILENCER WHICH IS AN IMPROVEMENT IF YOU ARE GETTING A BLOWER SAVE THE MONEY/ IT DOES COME WITH A MAC AIR FILTER TO BOOT.

PRO 5.0

SHIFTER, GREAT INVESTMENT MAKES FOR SMOOTH SHIFTS ESPECIALLY BETWEEN 2ND AND THIRD. AND EASY INSTALLATION

MARCH UNDERDRIVE PULLIES:

GREAT INVESTMENT FOR TORQUE AND LOWEND POWER. GET THEM PROFESSIONALLY INSTALLED HAD A FRIEND BEND HIS CRANK TRYING TO INSTALL THE CRANK PULLY.

AFTER MARKET SHIFT KNOB.

GET ONE THE SHORTY IS TOO SHORT FOR NEW MODEL MUSTANGS THE PLACEMENT ISN'T RIGHT SO ITS A GOOD IDEA TO GET A LONGER KNOB.

GUAGES:

FORD RACING GAUGES AND POD

LOOKS GREAT AND IS A FULL PILLAR IT LOOKS BETTER AND COVERS YOUR PILLAR EASY TO FIND A PAINT TO MATCH YOUR INTERIOR. THE GUAGES WERE EASY TO INSTALL IF YOU KNOW YOUR WAY AROUND A MOD MOTOR.

BBK 70MM THROTTLE BODY:

GOOD INVESTMENT GOT MORE POWER AND REVS ARE FASTER REALLY HELPS IN SECOND AND THE 3RD SINCE ITS THE LONG GEAR.

BRUSHED RED PEDALS FROM AUTOZONE:

LOOK GREAT AND STICK TO YOUR SHOES. ADJUSTABLE AND EASY TO INSTALL.

ROGER ORLANDO

:lol: :lol:

STEEDA FRONT SPLITTER LOOKS GREAT! WORKS GREAT!MAKE SURE YOU FIND A GOOD PAINT SHOP.THE DOBBLE-SIDED TAPE THEY SEND IS JUNK! :bs: HAD TO SCREW IT TO MY BUMPER! :shrug:

STEEDA REAR WING LOOKS GREAT! WORKS GREAT! :nice: EASY TO INSTALL! BUT MAKE SURE YOU FIND A GOOD PAINT SHOP!

STEEDA 17 IN. ULTRA-LITE WHEELS :nice:

NITTO ENT555 GREAT TIRE! :worship:

STEEDA TUBALAR FRONT SWAYBAR EASH INSTALLATION LOTS LIGHTER THAN THE STALK! HELPS TO FLATTEN YOUR TURNES!

STEEDA FEAR SWAYBAR EASY INSTALLATION REALLY HELPS!

STEEDA SPORT SPRINGS WITH TOKICO SHOCKS AND STRUTS LOWERED THE CAR ABOUT AN 1 1/2 IN. LOTS OF WORK BUT IS WORTH THE TROUBLE! WHEN FINISHED WAS LIKE DRIVING A NEW CAR! :jester:

STEEDA ALUMINUM LOWER REAR CONTROLARMS ALOT OF WORK! :spot: WELL WORTH IT REALLY HOOKED THE CAR UP!

70 MM THROTTLE BODY TOOK 5 MIN TO INSTALL AND NOTICED THE INCREASE INSTANTLY!

STEEDA TRI-X SHORT THROW SHIFTER TOOK 30 MIN TO INSTALL! WORKS LIKE A CHARM!

STEEDA HIGH-FLOW GT STANLESS EXHAUST AND BASSANI 2 1/2 HI-FLOW X-PIPE HAD TO CUT MY STOCK EXHAUST TO GET IT OUT! THE INSTALLATION WAS NOT THAT BAD! MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE NOT TOUCHING THE DRIVE SHAFT AND THE REAR AXEL WHEN YOU LOWER THE CAR! SOUNDS "AWESOME"! :worship:

STEEDA TIMING ADJUSTER WORKS GREAT!! INSTALLATION WAS A BREASE, BUT MAKE SURE THAT YOU SEAT THE TIMING AJUSTER TO YOUR STOCK TIMING BEFORE YOU INSTALL! ALWAYS START WITH YOUR STOCK TIMING AND THEN GO FROM THERE!!

DENSOIT 20 SPARK PLUGS HIGHLY RECOMEND THESE SPARK PLUGS EXPECIALLY FOR THE "SUPERCHARGED" APPLICATION! RUNS 140 DEGREES COOLER THAN THE STOCK! 10 HORSE POWER GANE! :worship:

SALEEN II SUPERCHARGER LOTS AND LOTS OF WORK! DIRECTIONS OK, BUT DIFFENTLY RECOMEND THE "SALEENSUPERCHARGER"!

LOTS OF OTHER MODS ALL WORK DONE IN MY HOME GRAGE! YOU CAN CHECK OUT MY WEB PAGE [email protected]!!!

2000 GT 5spd coupe

BBK longtube headers & catted h: The car already had Bassani cat-back. I also had a bigger tb and CAI. The headers where an installation nightmare, but we did it over a long weekend w/o a lift. I think fnsweet has a tutorial. The car seemed to pull harder on top, and sounds awesome at WOT. The cats scrape a tiny bit w/ my Steeda Sport springs.

Steeda Sports springs & Tokico Illuminas: Relavitely easy install. Made the car look 10x better, handles much better, and ride is still good. I like the adjustable shocks/struts b/c I use it on both the street, strip, and track. Scrapes a tad w/ the longtubes, but not bad. Could be a little lower (e.g. Eibach Sportlines, H&R Supersports), but I like the compromise of height, ride comfort, and clearance.

MM caster/camber plates: Easy install - did at the same time as the springs and shocks. Clearly quality components, and they look good too.

MM strut tower brace: Kind of a PITA install, but not too bad. Just took longer than expected. Lots easier w/ a helper. Make sure you have good drill bits. lol. I was suprised at how much I could tell the difference in the stiffness that this mod provided. I set my shocks down a setting for the street b/c it's so stiff now. :)

FRPP aluminum driveshaft: Installation was a snap. Supposed to reduce driveline vibration at high speeds. I'm not sure if I noticed a difference, but I did a couple other mods at the same time (suspension).

Procharger P-1SC intercooled kit: Easier install than the headers, but the directions are not good. Required a bit of fab work, but not too bad. Be careful when modifying the fuel pump cannister. Also, the Autologic chip they send you will probably need to be tuned on a dyno. Skip this step and you could end up w/ a broken motor.

Autometer bezel-mount gauges: The fit and finish of this was not good for a $50 part. I had to do a lot of minor fabbing to get it to fit just right and look good, but it turned out well.

Autometer electronic fuel pressure gauge, mechanical boost/vac gauge: It was nice not having to plumb fuel line for the gauge. A little pricey, but worth it. Just attached the sending unit where the Schrader valve went. Needed an adapter (1/16 pipe male - 1/8 female IIRC, and people will tell you 1/16 doesn't exist) and an elbow. Just tapped the boost gauge into an existing vacuum line w/ a double tee (for the supercharger bypass valve vac source as well).

Mac white-face gauges: Easy to install if you just take your time. Don't rush and you'll be fine. If you have a pre-99, make sure to go out on the highway and record some mph/rpm values. I really like the way they look.

Eaton Posi differential: This is the 31-spline version (replaced a shelled Auburn that the previous owner installed). Seems to work great so far. Used the regular gear oil + friction modifier. No noises (except when it's bone cold), no slipping. Haven't been to the track yet, but I've street raced a few times and it's performed just fine.

MGW aluminum pieces: Very high-quality stuff, and the instructions, packaging, and support are top-notch.

Recaro SE seats: Should be the first mod done to a GT, esp if you are tall. This mod gave me the greatest increase in driving enjoyment out of anything, primarily b/c the stock seats are terrible. I got the Recaro double-locking sliders, and the mount brackets are very sturdy. It bolted right in, and the new seats are much lighter as well.

Diablo chip, tuned by DMann (rffperformance): This tune was spot-on -- amazing for a mail-order tune. The A/F is great, and idle and drivability improved from the chip that ATI sent me w/ the blower kit. I tried another tuner out of CA and it didn't work, but this one is great!

UPDATE:
Pro3i CC Plates: Just had them installed a few days ago and I really enjoy them. Handling is improved quite a bit. The 4 bolt design is very strong, just had to drill out another hole for it.

Pro3i Lower Control Arms: Look great, car hooks up a lot better than before.

2002 GT 5 Speed

3.73 Gears My first and most favorite mod. IMHO every 4.6 mustang should have a gear change. If I was doing it over I would go with 4.10's.
MAC CAI Not worth the hassle or the money. Did make a neat sucking sound, but I took it off and put the stock filter with the silencer trimmed.
Diablo Sport Chip Bought it for a little more power and to correct the speedo for my gear change. Wish I had gotten a custom chip, (remove rev limit, more timing, etc.) Did feel like a bit more power and I haven't had any problems.
Steeda Triax Shifter Good change, definately a better feel than stock and shifts are more positive (no looking for 3rd).
Steeda Pullies Bought them a while back and was installing and noticed I had the wrong water pump. (I didn't check) Still need to install along with timing adjuster.

2001 Bullitt

1 1/4" Wheel spacers - I know it is only cosmetic, but it is DEFINITELY worth it. It really adds to the look of the car and only costs $100. You put them on just like a tire.

K&N drop-in Filter - I felt nothing. After removing the silencer the car was louder, but I still felt nothing. Later I switched to a MAC CAI.

3.73s - The best mod you can do. The car feels much stronger. 4.10s would also be good. I paid to have the install done.

FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft - I am sure that it makes a difference, but I can't feel it :( . Install is a piece of cake though and it only costs $150.

Denso Iridium plugs - The car might accelerate a little smoother but not much. If NA I would not recommend them. They install easy enough but are not worth $80. :nono:

Steeda Tri-ax - Easy install once you break the stock shifter off the tranny. I wasn't that impressed after I did it until I went back and then drove with the stock shifter. Tri-ax is MUCH better. Cost me $205 but you can find them for about $150.

Steeda U/D Pulleys - I noticed that the car seemed to rev much faster at 3000+ rpms. Worth $150 IMO. I paid someone $40 to install them. The Bullitt already comes with U/D pulleys but these are more underdriven. The alternator one was the same size.

MAC CAI - The kit was given to me so it was definitely worth it :D Install was a major PITA! I got the old kit that has the really big filter that points down. If you are driving through water that is about a foot deep you could have trouble, but otherwise it is not a problem. I did not really notice any gains in switching from a drop-in K&N without a silencer. BTW, the metal pipe has not even gotten warm yet in 3 months. The 90* bends, however, have caused the MAF to get an incorrect reading and now I am running rich.

MAC Catted H-pipe - I got the pipe used for $150 and although it is catted it set off the MIL so I had to get MIL Eliminators. The car is somewhat louder, but not much. The drone with the Bullitt mufflers, however, is worse. As far as power gains I am not sure. It is louder now at the same speed so it is hard to translate that into the SOTP dyno.

Magnaflow Catback - I bought this system off of someone else new and in the box but for only $200! It has been worth every cent. It has great sound and seems to add some performance to the car. The installation was not overly difficult, just time consuming. Definitely get the car up as high as possible and get a sawzall to cut the stock pipe. The fit and finish is excellent.

I dynoed 243.6/279.6 with these mods.

BBK Ceramic coated Long Tube Headers - I got these for $450. I paid someone $400 to install it along with the Dr. Gas X pipe. I noticed a definite SOTP improvement in the upper rpms. The part appears to be very high quality.

Dr. Gas O/R X pipe I got this for $350 installed. It is expensive to install because the part comes in parts and has to be welded together. The installer told me that it takes about 3 hours to install. I did it with the long tubes.

With these I dynoed 256.7/291.9 but was running rich.

BBK Fender mount Cold air intake I dynoed with this mod with everything else stock at 217.6rqhp and 259.8rwtq. Not sure what the stock numbers would have been but don't think this is bad with only a intake. Not to mention

Magnaflow X-pipe & Magnaflow Cat-back with Magnapacks Really love this exhaust setup! Haven't had it dynoed with the exhaust installed yet but will be soon. Me and the wife has a baby on the way so getting geared up for the little girl :)

I'll post more mods when I get them.

But the exhaust and intake did make a nice performance difference, espeically in the mid rpms

UPDATE

BBK LT headers and BBK O/R H pipe- It was a PITA to install but worth every knuckle breaking, tool trowing moment
:nice: If i was to do it again it would be so bad... i think i made every mistake the first time. Gains are very noticeable. The car doesnt seem so slugish anymore.

BBK LT, BBK O/R H pipe, Borla Catback Exhaust Sound- At idle it is pretty quite with a noticable grumble. Normal driving under 2500 RPM gives a sweet low tone and grumble but as soon as you go WOT above 2500 RPM it gets LOUD and i love it. From what i hear not as loud as the MagnaPacks but it is still loud:nice:

-Mike

1999 Mustang Cobra

Dense Charger
Easy install,getting the 100mm tube on the TB required a hair dryer to heat and make plyable but easy none the less.

Dr gas Xpipe
Good gains,good sound,affordable.What more can you ask for?

Magnaflow Magnapack
Sounds awsome,makes good power and easy install.I recomend this exhaust for any car.

Phillips HID headlights
EASY install and work incredible.I will NEVER own a car without them again

Solid axle conversion
This was installed by a shop not myself.By far the most ET reducing mod.

Rear end parts for solid axle
I went with Moser axles,Eaton posi,TA girdle,ARP fasteners,4.30 and the UPR kit.I havn't had any troubl;e from any of the products other than the UPR upper control arm I split open.However,UPR sent the replacements out no questions asked,for free with 1 day of contacting them.

4.10 gear
Worked well,went with the IRS when I sold it.I still recomend a little deeper gear for the 32v cars.

4.30 gear
Really like it.Good all around gear.IOt gets the ETs and still has some top end for playing on the street.I am considering a 4.56 now but no regrets for going with the 4.30.

1996 Mustang GT Convertible

Diablosport Chip
OK, after having this mod for roughly 2 years, I can attest that it does something. I definitely notice when the chip isn't plugged in (it has gone in and out of the computer a few times). Something on this car is doing something right in the way of HP... it makes 217 at the wheels (corrected for gearsuck) and I have a hunch this may help that... (paid 175 for it I believe)

3.73 FRPP Gears
This is kind of a "duh". Yes, they help... I am much happier with my 3.73's than I would have been with 4.10s I think. Me, Highway @ 80mph =2500rpm.. My friend w/4.10's @ 80 = 3K!
(Paid 180 for the part and around the same for install 150-200) It was a long time ago

MAC Power Pullies
My roommates bought these for me for my birthday last year. It wasn't a SOTP increase, and I know I am not doing the electrical system any favors... I'm not sure whether or not Steeda pullies are felt in the pants, but I am happy enough with these to leave them on (plus they were free!)

Bassani O/R X-Pipe
Definitely love the sound of this one! My car is a '96 and came with SIX catalytic converters. I felt this one all over the power range and couldn't be happier! Paid $200 for this cause I got it used on Stangnet

Magnaflow Mufflers
$69.95 per muffler installed, can't beat that! I love the sound of 'em... as far as any gains?! I dunno, maybe a little..

Zoom King Cobra Clutch
Got a good deal on this one.. Had my tranny rebuilt and the factory clutch was not gone, but could stand to be replaced, so I popped this one in for around $200. I like it. It hooks!

BBK Cold Air Induction
This cost me $150. I cut it about a year ago cause I heard that if you rotate the MAF 90*, it will trick the engine into making the car run leaner/richer. I can't remember. After chopping up my part and rotating the MAF, it just turned on the MIL. I was thinkin, "shiiite". It's off for now, but I like the hissing sound it makes when I punch it.

Pro 5.0 Shifter
This thing is awesome. I paid around $150 for this as well, if I can remember correctly. I would highly recommend getting rid of the crappy factory shifter (You will be amazed at the difference in build quality when you have them side by side)

Borla Tips
Almost as much HP as a sticker... lol.. paid like $40 for these on E-Bay. I felt like I stole them, they are around $180-200 if I'm correct. It looked like ricer exhaust at first cause the tips are so much bigger than I'm used to. It may have changed the sound a little bit.

275/40/17 Nitto 555R Drag Radials (not for street use)
So far I can't hook with 'em. 2.07 60'. Don't kill me. I paid 160 per tire I think, then like 40 for mount/balance. Traction is cool.

Hope this thread stays alive, it's a good one! I didn't take the time to mention the appearance mods, if you have ?s PM me.

K&N Drop In Filter: Did not notice any real difference.

Cut air silencer: Same, did not notice much difference.

Gears; 3.73: WOW! Moved up from 2.73s. Great mod, must have gears, felt like I picked up 40 RWHP.

FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft: Stopped all vibration associated with steeper gears. Although my gear install was perfect, the gears can make their own vibration. The aluminum d/s was worth the purchase.

Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter: Great mod. Nice firm shifts. Fixes the 2-3 mis-shift problem also. Good shift position.

P&P ’01 Headswap kit: Huge difference. Car now feels good and fast.

MagnaFlow Catted X and MagnaFlow cat-back
I cannot believe the power difference this has made. Very noticible over the stock 6 cat system. Also picked up 2 mpg!

Griggs medium length subframe connectors
Made the car handle better and go over bumps better. The car feels a lot more solid. Good mod only cost $225 installed.

Steeda/Ford EEC Reflash
When using ½ throttle at about 3500 rpms, there is a very noticeable difference in the exhaust note. The car sounds more powerful, actually growls a bit more. The part throttle acceleration especially in the lower rpms has vastly improved. This was not what I expected. I’ve seen small gains from timing adjusters and wondered if they could be felt. This reflash has made a heck of a difference in power, especially down low.