Mods for quicker throttle response?

Drew0318

Aug 15, 2008
Chicago, IL
I'm not *too* serious at this stage, but rather curious.

I may spend some cash next spring on a few things, this being one of them.

What bits/pieces would improve throttle response?

Secondly, which (brand) of those bits would you recommend?

Car is a '99 S281 (S/C), if that makes a difference.

• Sponsors (?)

Well, the handhelds are about as much as a proper tune, so... :)

Actually, if I was going to go the dyno tune route, I'd definitely add some parts to my list first.

I can't seem to find a used one....

Or don't I want a used one?

Ya, but you get to keep the hand held tuner, rather than paying the price for a tune each and every time you make a mod to the car. I use a Sniper and like it infinitely better than the Diablo I used to have.

How many miles are on the car ? If your rear suspension is worn out it can really make the car feel horible off the line. If you are over 70,000 miles I'd say you need new lower control arms or at least new bushings. Consider inspecting all of your rear suspension bushings and seeing what needs replacing. Geting the rear to hook right will make what you have feel a lot better and help the potential power output of other mods reach the ground.

Aluminum flywheel is great but it requires removal of the trans to install. Consider an aluminum drive shaft now, maybe do the flywheel when you need a new clutch.

On the intake side; If you have a centrifigul blower in your future, the BBK 78 mm throttle plenum is a good purchase along with some Steeda Underdrive Pullies. If a Roots (Kenne Bell) type blower is in your best bet would be an Accufab or comparable throttle body only.

Aluminum Driveshaft, 3.73/3.93/4.10 gears (do your own research), and a billet steel flywheel (aluminum flywheels have been disproved on multiple forums for most normal applications up to around 800 hp) will all add more acceleration feel, but the throttle body and tune are the two most obvious feeling through the gas pedal mods.

I'm not *too* serious at this stage, but rather curious.

I may spend some cash next spring on a few things, this being one of them.

What bits/pieces would improve throttle response?

Secondly, which (brand) of those bits would you recommend?

Car is a '99 S281 (S/C), if that makes a difference.

Be careful if you're considering a "tune" through a hand-held or other means. These typically bump timing and when you're S/Cd, you need to be very, very careful about how much timing you're adding since detonation might be just a degree or two away. I find the KB tune on mine is very conservative (fat) on fuel and spark advance and I'm just fine with the slightly slower throttle response for the added protection it gives.

Opening up the intake side is always a good thing with positive-displacement blowers. If you're really serious about throttle response you might also consider a lightened-flywheel...