Mods you wish you had not made???

vristang

15 Year Member
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle
I saw this posted in the '05 Forum, and thought it was a good question.

goobet

icon13.gif
Any Mods Regretted!
Is there any mods you wish you could reverse? (ie) Get your money back because it either didn't work as advertised, or just plain sucked.

I guess I should start things off with one.
My Corbeau seat. The seat is very comfortable, but the fabric was cheap. I wore a hole in it in a matter of months. Definitely not work the $450 to get it.

• Sponsors (?)

My shorty headers, waste of time, if I knew at the time I would have done LTs.

My catted X pipe is BY FAR the worst mistake Ive made so far. I took it off and replaced it with an O/R X about 2 weeks ago. What a mistake and waste of 400$.

actually I have been doing pretty good on the stang except for the motor cracking a piston (201k mile hyper-block) and blowing motors just comes with territory in the modding/racing game.

I think the most bolt-on issues I ever had was with my 89' caprice. in the end that car was pretty fast but it took alot of frustration with tuning and bolt-ons doing nothing until I realized my motors head casting was a junk from the day it was made. once I changed the heads that car moved out.

on that car I went through about $550 in swapping parts and tuning efforts before I realized the heads were about the worst casting GM ever made

This is a good thread topic :nice:

GOING CHEAP ... every time I go cheap on buying mods I pay twice over the quality part just to be satisfied :mad:

Especially with exhaust headers and mid-pipes ... how many times does someone want to f around with exhaust :nonono:

However, the UPR stuff I've bought (cheap prices) have all turned out great ... especially the clutch cable which requires a lot less pedal effort than the BBK pos I initially bought.

As comparison, I bought the quality MGW T-5 shifter and knob last week and paid $240 out the door ... I LOVE THIS CNC PIECE!! This thing would make a Pinto feel like a Formula 1 :banana:

Gotta have an H-pipe, but the BBK 2.5" cat pipe I bought fit like crap compared to the Steeda I took off that had blown cats. I ended up paying a muffler shop to straighten things out.

I never had a problem with an h-pipe?????

I got the cheapo summint o/r h and had no problems.

just put it up, tighten all the bolts just enough so it holds itself there, jack it up from the center of the h until it is in position adjusting it as you go up, tigten bolts and presto

only h issues I ever had were rusted out stockers

89CopCoupe said:
GOING CHEAP ... every time I go cheap on buying mods I pay twice over the quality part just to be satisfied :mad:

using the stock oil pump driveshaft.
thinking $300 ported E7's would be as good as E7's from a proven source.

Dynomax 'band clamp' WLK-33278

Search Summit with WLK-33278

Sounded like a good idea at the time.. one fell apart so I just welded the pipes. Really pisses me off, not so much the $20 I spent but the time involved.

Porting stock heads!
I should have just bought aluminum heads instead of getting my E7s ported and machined. Car felt good with the ported heads, but I rode in my friend's mustang with AFRs :( I could have spent a little few hundred more for a lot better performance

here's another one, i bought a used cobra intake off someone from corral.net and come to findout it had been painted dark gray and was a mess. After the oney i spent to get it sand blasted and powdercoated, i could have had a new one :notnice:

when i did my 5 lug conversion i bought a complete 98 gt rear end for $300. it is 3/4" wider than a reg fox...so i figured sweet...wider stance. now, with my new wheels/tires the tire hits the fender over almost every bump i go over. i should have just pieced together my own 5 lug disc rear end.

89CopCoupe said:
What is your engine/accessory combo?
ok the engine mods....10 to 1 compression 302, edelbrock performer rpm heads, lunati bumpstick, ported cobra intake, comp cams 1.6 RR, 70mm TB, 73mm mass air, cold air intake, bbk shortie headers, off road h-pipe, pro dumps, MSD coil, distributor and 6al, deleted EGR, smog pump, a/c, and power steering,electric fan and the 30# injectors.......the dyno numbers are with just the heads and cam and intake, stock everything else in case you wonder why the numbers seem low