Modular head shop reviews please

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

One of the best places to buy head/ cam combos from :nice:

+1. Am running a set of his Stage II NPI blower cams on my car. Got some tuning tweaked earlier today, and while I don't have dyno numbers to back it up, I can tell you that I picked up power/torque the whole way through the power band. Hard to beat that!

I'm gonna try and get a video of the cams sometime this weekend.

Well I've done my homework on Nick at MHS on every mustang forum on the web. I would be lying if I found anything bad about this shop. They are, and I quote another member, the bread and butter of ported heads and cam setups. I ordered my set at the end of Oct and I'm still waiting on them to be finished. So to say the least, getting them quick is not gonna happen. They are made to order and they are not cheap!! My setup was a little over 3k but I wanted the best so hopefully its worth it. I spoke to Nick at the shop before ordering and he was more than helpful in answering every question with no pushy sales pitch. So we shall see....

The only negitive thing I have found regarding Nick is the wait. It seems like he has not been able to find someone that can port heads his way or learn how so he is pretty much a one man show in that area of the process. I have yet to find someone who was not happy with the product he provides though.

nevermind.....

Don't necessarily let that one incident influence where you do business. American Muscle, Maximum Motorsports, and Fox Lake are some of THE best Mustang companies out there, but I guarantee I can find some bad reviews about any of them. I can count the negative things I've heard about MHS on one hand, and of those issues, almost all of them involved other 'complications' that was out of MHS' control, such as the shipping damage in this one.

MHS cams are extremely weak, go with cushmans motorsports cams.

El oh el. MHS has the NA NPI record, and if they were around 10 years ago, I suspect he'd have the NA PI record as well. I've personally seen a full weight convertible, TF head, MHS cam, 2-valve car go 11s on drag radials, trapping over 114. On 8 pounds of boost, stock motor minus MHS blower cams, my car has gone 11s at full weight with the stock converter, transmission, and rear gears, trapping over 118. MHS may not have the long term reputation that CMS does, but to say that they don't make power is ignorant.

El oh el. MHS has the NA NPI record, and if they were around 10 years ago, I suspect he'd have the NA PI record as well. I've personally seen a full weight convertible, TF head, MHS cam, 2-valve car go 11s on drag radials, trapping over 114. On 8 pounds of boost, stock motor minus MHS blower cams, my car has gone 11s at full weight with the stock converter, transmission, and rear gears, trapping over 118. MHS may not have the long term reputation that CMS does, but to say that they don't make power is ignorant.

+1

oxfordgt you're also forgetting the numerous reports of people with CMS, HiTech, or Comp PI cams having PTV issues. Some of those cams may make more power (specifically the stage 2 and 268/270), but they're running very tight clearances with the pistons. MHS doesn't sell a stock PI head cam that has the same aggressive intake centerline, because he knows and acknowledges on his website that the clearance is too tight to be safe. He recommends using pistons with valve reliefs, aftermarket oversize valves, or cutting the intake valve on the PI head to ensure adequate clearance.

According to you MHS should sell stage 2 N/A PI cams with aggressive intake centerlines and brag about RWHP numbers. Just because his customers might have PTV problems is no issue, since his cams would provide the best RWHP :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.