Money Better Spent?

splogan

Founding Member
Mar 31, 2002
After I pay off my bills like an adult from taxes I have some left to play with the car. What is money better spent? Lowering springs/rear control arms, A tune to tell the computer the EGR is gone and the exhaust/cai is there or a set of gears. I have Koni shocks struts ready to install already and the car is running stock tune and stock 2.73 rear gears.

• Sponsors (?)

My vote goes for gears. If you're frugal and somewhat lucky, you can find a set of lowering springs in a classified forum on the cheap. I'd save the tune until you do something a little more drastic. The biggest reason is you'll need it again anyway so why pay twice if it runs good without it for now. An exhaust upgrade and EGR delete aren't a big deal IMO.....

Reactions: 1 user
You raised your compression by .5. Not exactly a racecar. My old 347 ran 11.25:1 and ran on 91 with 33° of total timing.

Your engine has a problem, and using 93 is only masking it.

I used to try 87 in my cars. With the stock 10*-12* timing range they ran fine. I will say that my track times ran the best with 93 off and 14-15* timing. 87 octane started to suffer from detonation at that timing. The present car slowed down a .1 so...I don't agree with the 87vs93 comments. I also wouldn't run 87 with a power adder. Big difference between 87 and 91+

I used to try 87 in my cars. With the stock 10*-12* timing range they ran fine. I will say that my track times ran the best with 93 off and 14-15* timing. 87 octane started to suffer from detonation at that timing. The present car slowed down a .1 so...I don't agree with the 87vs93 comments. I also wouldn't run 87 with a power adder. Big difference between 87 and 91+
:fight:

@A5literMan
So when I had my car set at 14* timing with 93 I had a stinky fuel smell out of my exhaust. The gas was not completely igniting and the unburnt fuel went out of my exhaust. If I increased my timing to maybe 16* or more would it then compress and ignite the 93 octane completely?

Well mine always smelled of gas lol. Off road h pipe=smelly :)
I do know my plugs read a little richer. Adding too much timing will cause preignition,pinging,etc. Volumetric efficiency does increase with more compression and a timing/octane increase in a optimized motor. I'm only a novice at all of this. Higher octane gas is less resistant to ignition and there is a relationship between plug heat range,spark strength,etc. for it to burn efficiently. So could it smell less with more timing...maybe a little. I like the smell of 93 octane...lol

Milled gt40p heads. 16 degrees of timing seems to be what it like doesn't ping going up to 18 but doesn't gain anything. When I had to the set to stock I could run 87 but it didn't perform the same and that's track proven for me my trap speed suffered from it.