Mongoose + Intercooler install progress pics

SilverBullet00

Jul 5, 2004
Wichita, KS
I started yesterday with my install. I was originally just going to run the mongoose kit with out the intercooler, but then I realized that I didnt have all the piping I needed to make it work. So I said F it, and started mounting the intercooler :nice:

Finding the 3/8" NPT tap was hard as hell. Finding a punch large enough to fit the tap was impossible. I ended up having to make one out 1/2 in steel rod. This city doesnt have anything you need to get a project done, it really sucks. Routing the belt was a nightmare... How in the hell are you suppose to change that thing if it breaks?? Take everything apart?

Another question- do you have to extend the MAF harness to reach all the way down in the fender well? it doesnt seem long enough....

Anyways, here is some progress pics of the install. Average temp today was 20-25 degress in the garage. And unfortunetly, it just started flurrying- it better clear up for tomorrow, I need to go on a test drive!

DSC01530.jpg

DSC01532.jpg

DSC01534.jpg

DSC01536.jpg

DSC01531.jpg

Attachments

• DSC01530.jpg
    DSC01530.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC01532.jpg
    DSC01532.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC01534.jpg
    DSC01534.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC01536.jpg
    DSC01536.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC01531.jpg
    DSC01531.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 99
  • Sponsors (?)

nice work, the belt setup on the '02 - '04 is horrendous....maybe you can find a timing cover from a '98 and swap that on there. you would need a new blower mount but changing the belt would be no problem with the earlier setup

Oh man I am sorry to hear that :( Same thing happened to my buddies 2000 GT when we put in a procharger kit with a front mount IC. It took us three days to figure it out (we did have to work) and the symptoms were exactly the same, hell the car sounded just like your video. Turned out the output on the IC was the problem. The silicone connector had the smallest little cut in it and threw the MAF readings way off. After replacing it all was good :nice: I hope yours is something simple like that, small chance your head gasket is blown but I doubt it. Check the oil and water to see if they mixed at all. I am also sorry about the lights, I thought I sent the 9007's. Make a few bucks and sell them to someone with a Fox :shrug: This is the reason (besides I am broke :rlaugh:) that I have not done anything radical yet on my Cobra, I need another car first :) Good luck and keep us posted buddy.

pressure test the intake tubing/ i/c

you can make one pretty simply, just need a PVC pipe end (get it the same size as the opening of your air filter. you may also need to get a coupler to attact it to your intake tubing

kit.jpg

basically drill out a small hole on the end of the PVC cap so that its only big enough to fit the valve stem in there, i used a set of calipers to get the size of the drill bit to match the size of the valve stem.

pump some air in there and listen for leaks