Progress Thread Monkeybutt2000's 89 vert build thread- Back on track

Had a buddy over to help straighten everything out. After we realized someone....ahem...put a muffler on backwards ( I used every swear word..twice) we got it lined out pretty good. I'll have to get it to a exhaust shop once it's running and get it welded. After that we got fuel pressure set and tried to check timing. I'm gonna have to make a mark going all the way to the end of the balancer. Then we found a very slight coolant leak on one of the top water pump bolts. Then the oil feed block started leaking oil. I can't win with this build
IMG_20200523_193221706.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Are you going to align it yourself. You are going to have to somewhat. Mine was so close after four tries that I have not brought it to Firestone yet
I just measured the stock ones,then put painters tape on and ran the lock nut up to it. Should be close but I'll have it done. Local guy I know charges $50. As far as the tails, it's just a matter of twisting everything the right way. Definitely helps to have another set of hands,

I could probably get away with those on the inlet,but not the outlet. Where the tailpipes come in,there's just too much of a bend to make them work.

Had my tuning appt. with Steve this afternoon. After a few snafus he got down to business. We went over several things and he started his magic. Was getting the idle settled real nice,when I noticed a pretty good coolant leak. It was the hose that runs to the coolant tube. Confirmed fix and started in again with the tune. Unfortunately,I'm not getting a reading from my ACT sensor,so we had to end it right there. And the icing on the cake,the dreaded lower intake at the china rail is leaking oil BAD. Murphy's law,every time. Would like to thank Steve for being patient,had him on the hook for over 4 hours. Oh,and if you don't know Steve,he's a91what.On a positive note,the car idles really nice now,it's not burning my eyes at all. At least when I get it back together I can get the cooling system burped and be on point for the next tuning session :nice:

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Steve is the man !!! He had my car running great with a hidden vacuum leak. Now, that it's fixed, he got it running even better. It's amazing what he can do over an interwebs connection.

First starts are always a pain. All types of ish goes wrong. The biggest part is getting it started and idling at all.

Reactions: 1 user
The instructions in the gasket pack really work. I followed them...except I trimmed the valley gaskets ends to fit ( cork ) after I sealed the head side of the gasket down around the coolant ports ( just snug ). I used right stuff gasket maker above and below the cork gasket and torqued it down. Make sure surfaces don't have any oil on them. Also, must check and make sure the gasket doesn't try to shift. It's a 2 part process explained on that piece of paper. They say don't put gasket sealer on the gasket. I always do...unless I'm using the blue neoprene valley gaskets.

I also used studs to help line the intake and gasket up.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Car is buttoned back up and running. The new act sensor I installed on the car last fall was bad. No reading from the ohm meter. Luckily,my stock intake still had the act,so I tested it and it was good. Now just waiting to link up with Steve and get this tune straight.

@a91what was able to squeeze me into today to tune Project PITA. Everything was going good, and it came time to actually drive the car! It felt great to actually drive it. Anyway,we're in the tuning process,and I'm driving the car around,and it's getting progressively hotter. I voice my concern to Steve,and got the car back home in the drive. It was HOT! Around 250* :flame: I got the hood up and a fan on it to cool it down. Pressure released the cap with the lever and after a bit got the cap off. Put some more coolant in and started it up,boiled over immediately and probably contaminated the water supply on the south side of town. Got the cap back on,no change got hot again. At this point.I'm obviously extremely frustrated. Ever since the turbo install,it's been nothing but one small disaster after another. On a positive note,the car ran great. Steve definitely knows what he's doing with the MS system, and he's VERY patient. The car is right there man, just need the cards to fall my way.

Reactions: 1 users
I hope it was just an air bubble. The stock fan and radiator is strong...with the stock shroud. With my on3 kit there was no way I could fit the shroud in without cutting the bottom off of it.

Scored a contour fan out of some other car at the JY. Cost me less than 20 bucks. My mspnp2 controls high and low fans. The hottest I've seen is about 212°. The normal temp is about 203°.... I run a 192° thermostat.

Aaaaand Murpy's Law rears it's head.....still got hot. Removed thermo and tested, opened fully. Went ahead and ordered a Champion 2 core radiator. As far as water pump,I'll take a recommendation but probably going with an Autozone HD unit. Wanted a Motorcraft but LMR is on backorder til the 19th.