More 1982 Drama..

TheSeed

Jun 4, 2016
Okay stangnet, someone on here has to have, or know someone who has an '82. I'm looking for the answer can i put later 80s taillights on my 82? Like 86. Also anyone know where i can get a clutch for the 4 speed.

• Sponsors (?)

Okay stangnet, someone on here has to have, or know someone who has an '82. I'm looking for the answer can i put later 80s taillights on my 82? Like 86. Also anyone know where i can get a clutch for the 4 speed.
1st question: Yes. Any taillight for a 79-93 mustang will bolt right in. The 82 taillights are very desirable, if you have a set in reasonable condition, KEEP them. As far as I know, they are not reproduced.

And you should be able to get a stock replacement clutch from just about any auto parts store. I would check rockauto.com though. Hard to beat their prices most of the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The 79-82 lights are shorter. It may be that the later housings and lenses will move right over, but putting pre 83 lamps on a newer car involves modifying the sheet metal. There was a thread on here a few years ago where a guy put them on an Aero car and documented what he had to do. Let me see if I can find it.

I intend on keeping the originals. So i have to make small cuts... maybe i can make it cleaner than the last guy. Thanks guys! Any other tips on these cars is needed!

Suspension is done. Eibach sway bars, ford springs. Gonna leave it like that. Brakes obviously, but i wanna go 4bbl and a cam
Yank that engine. Swap it with an explorer long block and put a 650 carb and roller cam of your choice in it. Will handily outperform what you have now and look nearly identical.

A new carb and cam might be a little easier, admittedly.

Quickfuel makes some really sweet carburetors, btw. Lots of cams to choose from depending what you want.

A new carb and cam might be a little easier, admittedly.

Quickfuel makes some really sweet carburetors, btw. Lots of cams to choose from depending what you want.
Asthmatic heads and a bland Cam killed that engine. go for gusto. The real benefit of the explorer is the roller block, notched pistons allowing for better heads in the future, and the opportunity to run the plethora of roller cams on the market. Sure you can make the same power with an older 302, but why limit yourself to archaic parts.

Asthmatic heads and a bland Cam killed that engine. go for gusto. The real benefit of the explorer is the roller block, notched pistons allowing for better heads in the future, and the opportunity to run the plethora of roller cams on the market. Sure you can make the same power with an older 302, but why limit yourself to archaic parts.
True dat, wasn't thinking of the age of the block. @stykthyn is so smart.

62188816.jpg

Reactions: 1 users