More Automatics than Manuals?

The Shape

Founding Member
Jan 11, 2002
East ARKANSAS Delta
I have spent a considerable amount of time looking through the car traders and on e-bay at classic stangs just checking them out. I love my 5.0 but have always wanted a classic so I spend alot of time drooling over them. Anyway I have noticed that 99.9999 % of them seem to be automatics. I very rarely see a manual car. Were the prodution numbers just alot lower on manuals? Were they not as popular then for some reason? It seems that late model stangs are the exact opposite. You see a ton of T-5 foxes for every AOD car.

• Sponsors (?)

The Shape said:
I have spent a considerable amount of time looking through the car traders and on e-bay at classic stangs just checking them out. I love my 5.0 but have always wanted a classic so I spend alot of time drooling over them. Anyway I have noticed that 99.9999 % of them seem to be automatics. I very rarely see a manual car. Were the prodution numbers just alot lower on manuals? Were they not as popular then for some reason? It seems that late model stangs are the exact opposite. You see a ton of T-5 foxes for every AOD car.

autos were predominant in the 70's. when i was looking for my first used mach 1 one in '79 the only 4 speed car i could find was wrecked. luckily i found a clean auto and did a swap. if you want one with a stick you might consider doing a swap, the parts are actually easier to find today. a little costlier though.

I love a good manual, but people have either wreched them or expect their value to high and I don't like to buy from people that inflate their product.

My car is going to be automatic, that is choice, I started from just a body-shell, everything is new or to-be new when I get the money... :D

Hard to find manual trans.

I ran into the same problem.
This holds true with cars restored to original as well as modified cars.
I originally was looking to buy a completed 69 pro touring Camaro with a manual trans. (forgive me) Very rare. Everyone is installing automatics.
A big part of the car experience for me is bangin the gears.
I don't understand why more modified cars are not built with manual transmissions..
Scott

Yes in Mustangs (and all Fords for that matter), Factory 4-speeds were rare. Even back when they were new most of what you could find that was a stick were 3 speeds, and most of those were 6 cylinders. Back then we used to make comments about the fact it was easy to get a Camaro or any other GM car with a 4-speed, but with Fords most of them always turned out to be an automatic.