More heat problems with the Taurus

Again, I know this is way off topic, but I've always receive good advice from you guys, so here we go again. I posted originally about the heat problems in my Taurus [thread=671560]here[/thread]. I back flushed the heater core and it didn't help. Also, the actuator motor and door are operating...still no heat.

I took it on a trip this weekend...3 hours of Interstate driving at 70 mph. I noticed the water pump starting making a rattling noise (at idle only...during driving it's quiet) and there was no water in the expansion tank. For some reason, all of the water blew out of the expansion tank. The car never over heated, but I had to put water back in it before I left to come home. No water in the oil, plenty of power, etc.

I've read on several boards that sometimes on the Taurus the water pump impeller blades get corroded and wear down. Is it possible that the pump is just pushing enough water to keep the car from overheating (very cold here right now) but allowing too much pressure to build up and causing the water to come out of the expansion tank? I would think if there was a huge blockage somewhere, the car would definately over heat. Something is definately pushing water out of the expansion tank.

I think I definately need to replace the water pump, but I'm soon going to be down to this car to depend on and I need to get this figured out. Thanks again!

• Sponsors (?)

I'd do that too.

It still bothers me that you said the hose into the heater core is hot but not the one coming out.

Seems to me like you have air trapped in there which may also explain the reservoir problem.