...more on engine codes

A few of my friends have their engine check light ON all the time and either take out the bulb or ignore the little light...

They think I am strange in taking the time to track down the causes...

Anyway I have been able to fix all the things that have caused my engine check light to come on...I did all that before I went for my dyno pulls.

What I find interesting is that that little light coming on can be causing you lost horse power...

In the shop manual I have there is a little section on what can happen if the computer does not get the proper codes and the loss of horse power...very interesting...infact the computer has a variance of 24% -12% +12% on theway it effects tune...the computer knows if you are just cruising around or drag racing and selects a tune that can be measured.

Gaining +5HP with underdrive pulleys but losing -10HP with an unresponsive computer because the engine check light is on and showing a fault has made for some interesting conversations with some of my friends.

Some of my friends say I am wrong and the check light is only for showing up emmission related problems and won't affect full throttle...so who is right...I need some amo to back me up...or am I the one who is wrong...

• Sponsors (?)

Tell them that ignorance is a big drain on HP output. Small minds do go slower that larger ones...

Serious codes do set the computer into "Limp Mode" with reduced HP output. Limp Mode uses pre-programmed tables instead of sensor input. These tables are calculated for a wide safety margin. They use values that limit performance so that the engine never gets close to any condition that could cause damage. Code 66 (MAF problems) Code 22 (MAP/BARO problems), Code 63 (TPS problem) and others will set off Limp Mode.

If you have any questions about specific codes, post them and I will try to help. I have a fairly large code listing with causes & fixes, someting that most code references don't have.

Here's a book that will get you started with how the Ford electronic engine control or "computer" works.

Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control 1988-1993 by Charles Probst :ISBN 0-8376-0301-3.

It's about $20 from Borders.com see http://www.amazon.com/ . Select boo...very good, and I found it to be very helpful.