More Q's: 351w'ers, brackets/pulleys?

Gael

Founding Member
Jan 26, 2002
Tucson, AZ
I am having issues figuring out what I'm supposed to do for my alternator bracket as well as my engine pulleys. I don't have AC or Power Steering, so all I think I need it for is the water pump and alternator.

However, the block I got didn't come with any of that stuff, so I have nothing to work with, and the 302 stuff isn't working.

Am I going to need to hit the junkyards to try to hope to find the parts I need, if they even have 'em?

As usual, any help is greatly appreciated.. I'd like to get this car finished sometime in the next few years, as slow as things are going.

• Sponsors (?)

You might check the Ford Racing Parts catalog. I remember them having some water pumps and brackets, though they might have been for late-model use (i.e. serpentine betls).

Your task is actually a bit easier since you are not trying to match factory components that you already have. You mainly need to match your pullies and brackets to your water pump. Ford Racing lists a long and short version.

You could also go serpentine if you don't already have a water pump on hand.

If you want a custom look, and have some money to play with, check the March Performance website (http://www.marchperf.com/). You might also check with a couple of Street Rod vendors and see what they have.

78CobraII

Normally the power steering and water pump run off the same belt to the crank. And the Alt has is own to the crank. You should be able to space the Alt out far enough to get it to match the WP and crank pulleys.

I just installed some March Performance pulleys and am very happy with them. In the stock configuration, the crank pulley has two grooves and the water pump and alternator each have one. The inner crank groove drives the water pump and optional power steering pump. The outer crank groove drives the alternator. As mentioned, you could probably bend the stock alternator brackets so that it lines up with the inner crank groove, too and just use one long belt...or just stick to the stock configuration.

I do already have a water pump, it's the Edelbrock Victor series pump.

I've been looking at the March Performance stuff, but I'm not sure what I'd need. Would I need the pulleys, and brackets? I also believe I'd need a spacer for my crank pulley, because I have a fluidampr dampener.

This stuff is really confusing to me.

The pulleys are the same set I have and I'd ASSUME the bracket set is correct. I would've responded earlier, but I remember having so much trouble finding pulleys and brackets that I ended buying the March pulleys and then spending hours in a junkyard finding the right alternator bracket.

I wish I could help, since I had a 351W car. But I pulled the 351 out of a donor car, and simply used all the front engine accessories that were on it. Yanked the whole motor, slapped the MII manifolds on it, slapped it in and I was done. Ok, well I had to cut a hole in the hood for the air cleaner, and extend the pipes going to the manifolds, but that was it as I recall.

Maybe try hitting the local junkyard and pirate some front engine parts off a 351 car?

I'm thinking the pulleys are what I want, however, I'm hesitant on these parts of it.

"* Must have 3/16 in. between dampener face to water pump flange face"

"Required parts:
* Fluidampr dampeners require MCH-1431 spacer"

I have a Fluidampr dampener. So am I going to need that spacer as well? Or is that only for if I go serpentine?