More Rear End Questions

Jim Pawloski

Apr 17, 2012
Long time no see Stangnet, I've been busy working on the 65' fastback and getting the body ready for paint. I'm starting to try to get the rear suspension, axles, wheels, and tires going now and have a few questions.
1. I'm running a 347, fuel injected, and turbo'd motor (haven't been dyno'd yet, waiting on a few parts but I'm expecting somewhere around 450 hp/360 tq). Is upgrading the stock 8" rear with 28 spline axles worth it? If so, is the 8.8" or the 9" the way to go?
2. I see that the rear end width is 57 1/4" for the 65' 8" rear and the 8.8" from the 83-97' rangers is 56 1/2". Is that 3/4" going to be a problem?
3. Assuming I either keep the 8" or upgrade to a 8.8"/ 9" with the same width, will 8" wide rims fit on the back without tubs? I see people running them with 4 3/4" backspacing on, what I assume, is a stock rear end width. Sorry for the wall of text but I would rather ask 1,000 questions and get this done right than have to rebuild the rear end when I inevitably blow it up!
Thanks

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Depending on your cam, heads, and valves, you may be pushing a little more HP and Torque than that with that Turbo. Either way I would ditch the 8" for anything above 300 HP (my opinion). Yes 8" wide rims will easily fit stock wheel wells.