Moser Axles?

wickedmach1

Apr 8, 2003
Austin, TX
I recently bought a set of 31-spline axles for my 70 mustang and found that the bearing thickness between the stock bearing and the new Moser bearings are .41 difference. This is a small bearing housing which originally had 28-spline axles. The 9" axle housing has the bearing cutout so that the bearing is recessed in the housing and the retainer plate bolts over the bearing to the housing flange. I can see the old stock retainer plate is bent a little due to the stock bearing being about .10 wider than the housing allowance. I am not sure if I am explaining this so that it can be understood but I am doing my best. I was curious if anyone else has had this problem. Moser says that the retainer will bend over the bearing to attach to the housing flange with no problem. The retainer plate is atleast 1/4" thick or more. Anyone had this problem? Please help.

• Sponsors (?)

I looked in here since I am about to buy a pair of 31 spline aftermarket axles to replace the 28s in my 9" small bearing axle housing. From everything I've read it sounds to me like you have been sold the wrong part. Have you called your vendor or Moser about this? If they say it is correct and it doesn't fit I may be going to Strange for mine.

I spoke with Moser and they told me that the extra .41" is suppose to stick out of the axle housing flange and the retainer plate wraps around it. I told them they were crazy and if that was there answer, they would me giving me a refund. After that, they agrred to send me the correct bearings. I have not received the new bearings yet. Why would you try to pull this off with a customer? It seems this would be dangerous and could lead to a seroius problem. I'm not sure. Be careful with Moser.

I don't see were this could be dangerous, mine did the same thing untill I took a piece of 2 x 4 and a big hammer and wacked them in the rest of the way. The alxes with big bearings have a larger outside outside dia. on them. This is standard with there axles unless you state you have the small bearings. I have a complete housing and axle assembly from them and it's the best thing I have ever done. Have you ever seen what a 6500 RPM launch does to a 30 year old 9" housing? I've got one in my building that looks like a pretzel.

I have the small bearing housing. If you take a caliper a measure the dept of the bearing recess in the axle housing, it measure about .835. This would require the stock small bearing of .839. How is a hammer going to help set the bearing in the axle housing when the axle bearing is .880 wide and the recess clearance is only .835?