Mother nature destroyed my baby.

srichard

Oct 18, 2004
Plano, Texas
The joys of living in Texas in the spring. I had just got home from work; the sun was coming out after some hard rain storms. I went inside, turned on the radio and started reading my MM&FF. Five minutes later the sky went dark and the hail just started pounding down. Golf ball size. All I could do was sit and watch the hail bounce off my car, as the tears fell down my face. The damage report is quite extensive. I can't even count how many hail dings the car has. That's not the worst of it. I also have a 02 Acura TL Type S. It is destroyed as well. Well I must stop writing now. I'm sick to my stomach.

• Sponsors (?)

I too live in Texas (dodged the hail today) and live in fear of the crap with my new GT.

If it is any consolation - the paintless dent removal pros are damn good. Our '03 Explorer had significant hail damage when we bought it new off the lot. They got it out to the point that I couldn't tell it ever had any damage.

Earl

EarlB said:
I too live in Texas (dodged the hail today) and live in fear of the crap with my new GT.

If it is any consolation - the paintless dent removal pros are damn good. Our '03 Explorer had significant hail damage when we bought it new off the lot. They got it out to the point that I couldn't tell it ever had any damage.

Earl

Earl,

Paint less sounds painless. Do you have any shops you might recommend?

Thanks,
Scott

Sorry man, but get a good paintless dent remover in your area and you will never know it happened! I know it looks like that is an impossible statement, but I gurantee you will be happy when all is said and done. Your insurance will pay for it 99% of the time too so check into that. Good luck.

Look in the phone book for a dent removal place that is a permenant resident. Don't take it to one of those shops that come for a few months right after a hail storm. You need to be sure they will be around in a few months to make sure they got all the dents and you don't have any problems.

We have a good one here in Bryan if you come this way. :(

Ouch! We had hail last week here in Madison, Wisconsin and one of my work buddies had his week old Yellow 05 GT outside. Fortunately, the hail didn't get any bigger than a 10c piece and there was no damage to be seen.

That said, ever see those inflatable, clear plastic carstorage bags you can drive into? If I lived where you guys live, I would seriously consider keeping one of those in the trunk for emergency use and I think big-@ss hail qualifies as such. Yeah people might laugh at the idea, but when the hail is done and your car is the only one not resembling the surface of the moon - you'll be the one laughing.

I'm in the Richardson/Plano area. I had the dealership take care of it (North Central Ford) but I know they farmed the work out - probably to Lute Rielley. Alot of dealerships are doing away with their body shops since they get $40 or so an hour for body work as opposed to $85 for mechanical :(

But any professional PDR place will do.

Earl

srichard said:
Earl,

Paint less sounds painless. Do you have any shops you might recommend?

Thanks,
Scott

srichard said:
The joys of living in Texas in the spring. I had just got home from work; the sun was coming out after some hard rain storms. I went inside, turned on the radio and started reading my MM&FF. Five minutes later the sky went dark and the hail just started pounding down. Golf ball size. All I could do was sit and watch the hail bounce off my car, as the tears fell down my face. The damage report is quite extensive. I can't even count how many hail dings the car has. That's not the worst of it. I also have a 02 Acura TL Type S. It is destroyed as well. Well I must stop writing now. I'm sick to my stomach.

:doh:

What's hail? Living in southern California does have some benefits... I can't remember the last time I saw a hail stone! That plus all of the fake noses, chins and breasts which I see everyday. :lol: I guess a major earthquake every 15-20 years is a small price to pay to protect your ride.

Oh no! That sucks! I remember that night well because I was at a city council mtg and this woman came running in from outside and exclaimed "60mph winds, severe thunderstorm...hail, possible tornado - everyone stay inside.". So what did I hear? "HAIL!!!" And like a crazy woman, I sprinted out of the building, jumped in my car and drove like a maniac to get my baby home and in the garage.

It never did hail down my way that night. But I am so sorry you got hit with it. I can totally imagine how you feel. The sheer panic I felt was bad enough...

Let us know the details regarding your repairs. Hopefully she'll be good as new very soon!