Motive gears just as good as FRPP?

im very skeptical about this and would probably just pay the difference to go with the ford gears, but just wanted to see what u guys thought of this...

"Motive Performance Plus gears are made with an extra strong race quality alloy. We recommend Motive Performance Plus gears over FRPP, as they are just as strong and less expensive. Motive uses these gears in high horsepower racecars with outstanding results. They also do NOT have a reputation such as Richmond for "gear whine". "

direct quote from mustangtuning.com and lethalperformance.com

• Sponsors (?)

Any gear will whine if installed improperly. However, FRPP gears are easier to install because you can take advantage of a measurement technique using MHD (master housing dimension) which alleviates the need for a special measuring tool to properly align the gears. This MHD method is used on the assembly line and can only be done with Ford gears. However, FRPP does not make a 3.90 so if that is the ratio you want you will not be able to do FRPP anyway.

billyfe390 said:
Your a moron.

Nothing wrong with motives as long as the installer is competent.

BTW motive is making FRPP gears now.
QFT. (not the moron part :) ) Its all in the installation. FRPPs are easier to install as Kilgore stated, but if you dont install them right, they will whine as well.

do you have any proof of this? care to elaborate? not calling BS, just curious and intruiged. if true, maybe (doubts it) FRPP gears would go down in price. :shrug:

Talk to the guy installing the gears and see what he says first before ordering. Since you are getting 3:73s, available in both motive and FRPP, I would lean towards the FRPP since the install would be easier for the installer as said above. If you wanted 3:90s, then motive is the only choice. BTW, it's the gear I'm leaning towards, although my local shop bundles in gears and installation for a hella deal but only uses FRPP, so it may be 3:73s for me afterall.

i have motive 4.10s, i had them installed at my ford dealership, (they have a mechanic that only does performance parts, mustangs, and svt stuff), they do NOT whine at all

my friend has richmond 3.73s installed by another gear shop that i am not familiar with and they whine quite badly, richmonds are hands down the strongest gear but whine

between motive and ffrp its all in the install

They are the exact same, FRPP is made by Motive. I assume this because I bought my brother some FRPP gears (7.5" 3.73's) for Christmas. I got them and opened up the box just to take a look at them. Well, to my surprise, the install sheet had Motive Gears written all over it. The outside of the box had a FRPP sticker and stamp on it. Could this be for only 7.5" gears, or is it for all FRPP gears?

Anyways, FRPP gears are the best to buy, little or no whining.

supastang03 said:
nick...how much was the installation from the ford dealership...and did u need to buy anything else other than the gears (installation kit, bearing kit, etc..)?

i too would like to know. i hate the stealership, but so far from word of mouth, nobody around me knows where a good shop to get gears installed are(and basically everyone around me runs stock gears and dont mod their cars). if ford does it right the first time, id rather spend the extra money for peace of mind.