Motor froze 65 w a 200

markefarley

Mar 1, 2011
Ok, so I should have spun the crank before putting the new motor and tranny back in the car and now I can't tell what's catching. It's a simple straight 6 but it's not been turned over in a long time as this project got put on hold while my dad had cancer. When I tap the starter it went about 1/2 crank turn, difficultly, and stopped. I pulled the plugs and put lightweight oil in and turned the crank by hand backwards. It goes that direction a very short distance and stops. I can work the crank back and forth between these two stopping points and thats it. I can see the flywheel turn also as the cover is off. I doubt if any torque converter bolts are hitting (but maybe the problem) as the tranny was difficult to line up but when it was perfect slid right in and bolted up tight without forcing anything. Although that was a long time ago and I don't remember much of the details now. Next step or more suggetsions? Thanks, Mark

• Sponsors (?)

did you use assembly lube in the motor? If not you may have some corrosion in there...

Also did you prime the oil pump? That would get oil in all the right places and maybe free things up.

I just build a 200ci for my 1960 falcon and had great success with it. If you have any questions about the motor Id be more than happy to help where I can. Just PM me

since the crankshaft moves, that tells me you have a mechanical interference problem. since you had problems installing the trans, i would start there. pull the trans back out, and makes sure the torque converter is properly seated in the pump before you reinstall the trans. there should be a gap between the converter and the flexplate of about 1/4" or so when you put the trans in.

when seating the torque converter, you need to spin the converter and work it up and down until you feel it click in place a couple of times, the first indicates that you got the splines lined up and the second indicates that you got the pump drive lined up.

by the way, when you pull the trans back out, turn the crank to make sure it does indeed turn a full turn or two.