motor help please

clm5519

Nov 29, 2010
Hi there I'm new to the site so hopefully some of you experienced guys can help me out. I have a 1993 lx that was a stock four cylinder that was removed and I put in a 1974 302 out of a maverick that's all stock except for a holly street dominator intake manifold, edelbrock 600 cfm four barrel carb. Points distributor (and I know that everyone says to go electronic), aod trans, 8.8 rear end out of a t-bird turbo coupe (and for all of those stock 7.5 axles are a direct fit for an 8.8 rear end). Well here's my issue I can get the motor to start but the only way is to have the timing way advanced, it idle's really high like 1500 rpm for about 30 seconds and then it goes into a shudder. Up in rpm then down in rpm. I have the fuel/air screws all the way in on the carb and when i back off on them to the recommended 1.5 to 1.75 turns it just cuts off on me. The guy I got the motor from had the wrong intake manifold gasket so a buddy and I fixed that prob, rebuilt the carb, put a carb spacer that's made for the carb to intake manifold. The coil is a msd. So what the heck is going on do I have a massive vacuum leak, is the intake and carb tooooo much for the motor, is my distributor not right, could my timing gear be off, what what what? someone please help I'm so ready to do a burn out in this 93 lx.

• Sponsors (?)