Motor out and in now clutch super stiff. Wife is making me sell if can't fix

eweezy

Jul 5, 2008
To start this off I must fix this or my wife is making me sell the car since we are expecting our first child. I can't sell it, it has been my dream car since I was 16 (15 years ago).

I pulled motor and trans together to do some rehab, painting, etc. Put motor and trans back in and now major clutch pedal problems. I have the original Ford clutch cable and quadrant and no firewall adjuster but I must stress that when I parked it the clutch work GREAT. The cable setup has to be good I must be doing something wrong.

I have the cable routed in one gradual loop and it runs through the hole on the top part of the motor mount. It is a straight shot right to the clutch fork. In fact, with the cable disconnected from the clutch fork I can easily push the cable in and out and easily move the pedal inside the car so absolutely no binding.

To adjust the cable I have lifted the pedal upwards until it made a loud popping noise but when I go to push it back in it is SUPER stiff. It is so hard to push I feel the left part of my seat moving backwards.

I packed the throwout bearing, lubed the pilot bearing and lubed the pivot ball the fork rests on. Again, everything worked beautifully before I took apart. I consider myself an above average occasional mechanic but this has me puzzled.

Please help, what can be the problem. If I have to pull trans again I will scream! I have one day to put this thing back together, please help.

• Sponsors (?)

If your sure the clutch is good and the transmission was not removed from the motor, check the cable to see if it is not pinched or routed in a manner that binds it up. I had this problem with one of mine and had to make sure that the cable had a nice sweeping bend as it went downward. Had to unbolt it from the keeper and remount without the twist. I have also had one that was pinched during a motor/trans install causing the metal shielding to bite into the cable. Same problem. Check in the interior and make sure that your factory quadrant hasnt split or marred causing a bind or excessive drag when the pedal is pushed. Hopefully I am right because it is alot cheaper, and easier, than working a new clutch, fork or other components that may be bent or misaligned. Good Luck and I hope you keep her.

Is the TOB retainer all chewed up?

As RD mentioned, I'd just re-route the cable for diagnostics and see if it gets better. You're going to have to mess with the cable anyhow.

If you do need a new cable, I would not get an adjustable one. Stick with the OEM style Ford cables.

If you do need a new cable, I would not get an adjustable one. Stick with the OEM style Ford cables.

Why not? If his quadrant is shot (stock plastic is junk) he's not going to be able to use a stock cable with an aftermarket quadrant. I've put thousands of miles on adjustable cables with no problems.

Why not? If his quadrant is shot (stock plastic is junk) he's not going to be able to use a stock cable with an aftermarket quadrant. I've put thousands of miles on adjustable cables with no problems.

You most definitely can use a stock cable with an aftermarket quadrant. You simply need a FWA to adjust the cable.

If he uses an aftermarket adjustable cable, he very well might still have a hard pedal due to the cable itself. The adjustables are notorious for not sliding as smoothly as an OEM style cable (they often lack a layer of sheathing and can have a less robust cable).

You most definitely can use a stock cable with an aftermarket quadrant. You simply need a FWA to adjust the cable.

If he uses an aftermarket adjustable cable, he very well might still have a hard pedal due to the cable itself. The adjustables are notorious for not sliding as smoothly as an OEM style cable (they often lack a layer of sheathing and can have a less robust cable).

I tried it on my 89 years ago and it wasn't going to work. Stock cable was way too short.

If while disconnected, the cable and clutch pedal move without bind, then I would have to say the TOB is your culprit. Something isn't moving smoothly, and the most likely candidate after the first two get scratched off, is the TOB sliding on the Bearing retainer. Under the car with the cable disconnected, move the fork with your hand, it should move freely(at least away from the pressure plate forks) and if it does not, wham bam problem solved. well... solved, not fixed.

I tried it on my 89 years ago and it wasn't going to work. Stock cable was way too short.

just because you used the wrong parts, this doesn't mean that that's the last and final word on the subject. It didn't work because you used the ford racing quadrant, which has a longer throw specifically designed ONLY for the adjustable cable which is longer. when you bolt an FWA on with this combo, the shorter OEM cable will not work. This is why they make shorter quadrants!

Ever heard of maximummotorsports?? go to their web site, quadrant, firewall and OEM cable. THIS IS THE NORM.

ADJ cable do NOT work right because they're slightly longer. This extra length causes slight bind, and significantly higher pedal pressure.

To the ORIGINAL POSTER, it sounds like your cable is misrouted...

don't go ABOVE the motor mount, go below the motor mount, but above the k member. IF you route it this way, do NOT bolt the bracket onto the shock tower.

the OEM was was to the left of the motor mount on top of the steering rack

Sounds like routing to me as well...

Stock cable, Fire wall adjuster and a TRIPLE hook quadrant.....no problems. Adjustable cables are junk.

Congrats on the new addtion, my little girl is 4 months old now and I can tell you there is nothing like it, I'm 32 as well ;)

just because you used the wrong parts, this doesn't mean that that's the last and final word on the subject. It didn't work because you used the ford racing quadrant, which has a longer throw specifically designed ONLY for the adjustable cable which is longer. when you bolt an FWA on with this combo, the shorter OEM cable will not work. This is why they make shorter quadrants!

Ever heard of maximummotorsports?? go to their web site, quadrant, firewall and OEM cable. THIS IS THE NORM.

ADJ cable do NOT work right because they're slightly longer. This extra length causes slight bind, and significantly higher pedal pressure.

To the ORIGINAL POSTER, it sounds like your cable is misrouted...

Well this was a few years ago before triple quadrants came out. I know when I tried it, it didn't work (was way off). Never had any trouble with adjustable cables, so I don't get the hate for them.

keep the car, get a new wife

lols

lol this tuff man

She should respect his desire to keep his car. Not brow beat him into submission to sell his dream car. Screw that. I have four hotrods and my wife understands that's who I am, so she accepts me that way.

Whatever it is (sounds like a cable issue to me) you'd better fix it quick. Say goodbye to mustang time for a good portion of the first year of your childs life. Ask me how I know. Conrgats though.

My wife married into my hobby too...and although she HATES HATES HATES it, she'd never ever ask me to get rid of them....I would sell any of them in a heartbeat however, to support my family if I needed to do so.

I've got three kids 5 and under, and I've found plenty of time..in fact within the last year I've tore a 66 mustang down to nothing drivetrain-wise then built it back up with an entire new drivetrain, converting to manual too....

having one kid is very very simple. I just had my third and final....try having a 5 year old a 2 year old and a newborn :)

The key for me to find extra time is to go to bed after the wife and kids...this allows me ME time for xbox or wrenching

Hmm

Sounds like your cable is binding or maybe your quadrant is about toast.

If it was me, I 'd triple check the cable for binding by removing it from the car and verifying you can move the cable easily, triple check your routing and the quadrant to make sure the teeth are not messed up (stupid plastic) or .. just get a new aftermarket one since they are cheap.

Also dude... grow a pair... seriously. "my wife is making me sell" ?? wtf :notnice: