mounting 5" tach w/ shift light in a 66

sledhead

Feb 27, 2002
warroad,mn
Just wondering what the best way to mount a 5" tach w/ shift light.I really don't want to put any hole in my dash. If you have any pictures please send.Iwas possible thinking mounting on the windsheild pillar.

• Sponsors (?)

Have you bought that tack yet?

If not, I (and most on this bored) would probably recomend going with somthing a little smaller. 5" is a little overkill IMO & kind of ricey. Unless you do bracket racing or something.

But then again its your car...sooo

I am looking at that shelby gauge pod right now in my NPD catalog, and I definately do not think a 5" guage will fit- its designed for one 3.5" and one 2" and there is no room (the height isnt there) to modify it to fit.

Here is a pic that shows where I mounted my guages -below the dash- seems low- but is easily visible and out of the way-some say it defeats the purpose, but I drive by feel and sound so I defintately dont need a light or the thing mounted in front of my face.

Can I ask a question here? Let me preface it by saying I am not passing judgement.

I never actually look at my tach when "on it". I either shift by ear, or when my solo (not part of tach) shift light fires. And my engine revs pretty damn fast, especially with the close ratio gearing I have. So, my questions are:

Why is it that people get 5" tachs? Especially when you have a shift light?

D.Hearne said:
Same reason they have other "big" stuff. It makes it go faster. I got a big tach too in my Ranger, but Ford put it there, I just had to adjust it to work with the V8. Now after swapping heads, it don't read far enough.

Does it give more hp, tq, or just magically make it faster?

I use the smaller one on mine. If you have a shift light, why do you need a big tach? And if you are looking at the big tach, why do you need a shift light? I rotated mine to where I shift with the needle is straight up. This way there is no need to look at the numbers. All my gauges are crooked. If all the needles are straight up, everything is good. It annoys some of my friends, but only a quick glance tells me everything I need to know.

Well I should problably not chime in since most here dont see the need in a 5" tach, but the "Rice" comment I feel is unwarranted..These large tachs were in use by us street rodders long before the current resurgence in these newer cars. I hadly see Nascar drivers as being "ricey" and they use this type of tach I believe. I mounted mine in the shelby gauge pod and while some will have a problem with the look I have change so much on my car I didnt feel like there was a better place to mount it. No changes were need to the dash pad since when mounted it doesnt contact the dash at all.

I got a 5 inch tach in my car right in front of my shifter. I have a C6 trans so the shifter sits back more than a C4 would. Mine is on the floor no problems with it at all. I was going to build a bracket and put it in the dash where the front speaker is. My dad did not want me to do this because he said there is no need for it and do you want ppl to think your fast. He said it would get in my way of driven but,
I have no problem seeing over my 3inch cowl hood. :D I will get a pic up for you. :nice:

I have a 5" tach in my 67 and its mounted right on the dash, in the spot where the dash drops down in the middle. I bought a big tach because I wont be using a shift light and I want to be able to glance at it and know what rpms im at, which is why the tach only goes to 8,000. I have bad vision sometimes and nt want to have to study the tach to know where im at, the way its setup now i can see it out of the corner of my eye.

A 5 inch tach ricey? If anything it is old school. I have the smaller autometer simply because it fit easier. If I had a good place for a big one, I would have got it in a heartbeat. Mine is on the column in the middle. I am thinking or replacing the stock gauges with aftermarket one in the original holes.