MSD 6al box electrical gremlin

While looking into another problem i had this weekend(see other post about my fuel pump going bad) i notice a noise that i never notice before. when i turn on my ignition(not starting the car) i heard a electrical type sound coming from my hood. when i turn the ignition on, about 5 seconds later i would hear a electrical sound coming from the distributor. i took off the distributor cap and the sound then moved to my blaster 3 coil. when i truned on the ignition i could see a electrical arc coming from the positvie and negative posts on the coil. i disconnected the postive and negative wires, and truned the ignition on again, and the electrical sound is coming from the MSD box. you can also see my tack in my car jump slitley when this noise happens. could my MSD box be going?

i thought i read some where here that you can call MSD up, and have them repair it, rather then by a new one. does anybody know if that is true? MSD box is around 10 years old.

• Sponsors (?)

mine went out this weekend also. i just got an email back from MSD and you can send it in for repair. you have to call and get an RMA #. i've heard MSD boxes going out all the time. im gonna search for a different brand.

can anyone recommend another ignition box brand

thanks

i just got off the phone with them and the max they will charge to fix a box is $87. It could also be less depending on how much work it needs. heres their # 915-855-7123. if your gonna do it, you will need to call customer
service number for an RMA number

Sounds like some kind of inductance issue. The inductance creates 'noise' in the electrical system, and your tach twitches.

Ensure all grounds are up to par. Also see what the AM folks say. I would surmise that if your car runs, they will have suggestions for things to do on your car before sending the box in. :nice:

Good luck.