MSD Distributer or not?

Guero

Oct 11, 2005
So i went to Ford to get a dizzy and they want almost 500 bucks for it!!!! Should i just get an MSD 1, there like 300 bucks. Im making sure everything is ok before i go in and tune it.

• Sponsors (?)

Wow, seems like alot of money to blow on something that is probably working fine. That said, if its original, chances are it'll crap out one of these days. A new one certainly won't hurt things, so if you got the cash, I'd say go for it and keep the old one as a spare. I thought they could be had for less than 300 though... but I could be wrong

i got one from checkers, when i first got my car i think. But ijust wanted everything to work good for the tune. Dont want to mess something after the tune and have it retuned or something.

i have an MSD Dizzy and it started some sputtering misssing thing when it was cold. I called mSD tech support and they said to change my ignition module. I might one of these days. Hasnt been such a great purchase to be honest.

NO problems on my MSD, but yes it's probably money wasted. But I'm a sucker for things that look cool, like brushed aluminum. If you decide to get one, make sure you get a hardened gear for it if you have an aftermarket cam. The gear that came with it is meant for the stock cam I think, it was all chewed up after 100 miles.

The stock oem ignition is more than adequate for a NA combo
if
it is in good working order :)

Over the years, I've seen a lot of peeps say they had probs
of one kind or the other with them. Usually they do not report about
probs with the dizzy. Its the other components that seems to have issues.

I've seen some say, if you mount that striped box in the motor
compartment, the heat kills em :shrug:

As for a performance gain with the MSD system,
if it was any at all, it would be very small.

If my dizzy was bad
and
I had the choice between 100 bux for a good replacement stocker
or
300 bux for the MSD

To me and my way of thinking, with the 200 bux I saved ......
I'd buy a mod that would give a better performance gain than the MSD ;)

True ... they look snazzy when you pop the hood :nice:
but
I'm more about go than show :D

Grady