MSD Ignition/Coil

radartec

Founding Member
Jul 18, 2002
Northern CA
I ordered a new ignition box and coil for the Pace Car today. Should get it in next week. It's an MSD 6BTM Ignition Box. Here's a little text about it:
- The MSD 6-BTM CD ignitions are ideal for engines with a turbo or supercharger. Not only will they benefit from full power CD sparks, but there is also an adjustable boost/timing retard circuit to prevent detonation. The dash-mounted control knob lets you easily adjust the amount of timing retard from 0-3 degrees per pound of boost pressure. Dial away engine-damaging detonation by retarding the timing in relation to boost pressure, and run on the threshold of detonation for maximum power and efficiency. You also get overrev protection from the soft touch rev control. They work with 4, 6 (even fire only), and 8-cylinder engines using a distributor.

This should help me prevent detonation even more and along with my water injection kit should help really, really fine tune for maximum boost. I got a new coil to go with it to. It is a MSD Blaster 2F coil:
- Blaster 2F coil for MSD ignitions/late model Ford applications, 15,000 more volts than stock. This coil has the same horseshoe connector that the stock Ford Duraspark Ignitions have so there is no need to cut your wires. The MSD Blaster Coils do not include a ballast resistor. When you are using an MSD Ignition Control, the ignition is responsible for delivering the voltage to the coil so a ballast is not necessary. It puts out 45,000 volts, that's 15,000 more than stock. It also has an oil-filled metal canister and fits stock mounting brackets.

Just need a week off now to
- relocate my battery to hatch
- mount my water/methanol injection kit in the spot vacated by the battery relocation
- install MSD ignition, wires, and coil

What kind of spark plugs should I use? I hear that Iridium are the best for boosted applications.

• Sponsors (?)