MSD vs Mallory Ignition Boxes

I AM the random post master...bow down
May 3, 2003
Daytona Bch, FL
I think a new coil and an ignition box is somewhere in the very near future for me to be purchasing since my cars back running with the turbo... Now my question is how are the Mallory boxes compaired to the MSD's? You can get a Mallory box for just over $100, while the MSD's are damn near $200. Has anyone used both of them, or is anyone running the Mallory box on their car? Should I just spend the extra money and just get the MSD since almost everyone has the MSD box and works great for them.

• Sponsors (?)

Just my opinion here....Personally...MSD would not be my first choice...over the years I seen to many post on them taking a dump...for that reason alone...MSD would not be where I would go....

what gain are your after??? never really understood the whole "MSD Box" thing...

I choose to run a PD ignition kit....what gain is an MSD over that?? more adjustability for boosted applications mostly??
Someone care to enlighten me.... :D

on a ignition system the job of the coil is to take the battery voltage(12v) and step it up to whatever voltage is required to complete the ground. on an msd box or any other capacitive discharge box the pupose is to store voltage on the primary side to deliver more voltage to the coil, let's say 200v compared to 12v, which in turn allows the coil to produce more voltage in the given dwell time. the multi spark part is only produced up to 2500 rpm's as the ignition time is reduced enough to not allow the multi spark to occur. as far as a brand i used the crane box on my t/a and liked it alot.

RIO5.0 said:
Just my opinion here....Personally...MSD would not be my first choice...over the years I seen to many post on them taking a dump...for that reason alone...MSD would not be where I would go....

what gain are your after??? never really understood the whole "MSD Box" thing...

I choose to run a PD ignition kit....what gain is an MSD over that?? more adjustability for boosted applications mostly??
Someone care to enlighten me.... :D
Exactly all I've seen is people posting on how there MSD boxes has taken a dump on them. Yet most people seem to follow the same route over and over again. I've been eye ballin the mallory #6852M HyFire VI-A digital ignitions they "seem" to be great ignition boxes for the money imo.

i also have th mallory hi fire digital ignition box. its great, my engine responds to my driving inputs much faster, i noticed my car felt much stronger at lower rpms. i wanted to get msd like everyone else, but the owner of this speed shop said that msd's are bad because their magnito's are known for going bad. he said its somewhat common for them to go bad in nascars. my ignition has an adjustable rev limiter, capabilities for N2O and more. it was kinda expensive but i would buy it again, no regrets.

fawcett

Oink good point i have helped put a couple in and none in the engine bay. glove box or floorboard. The MSD's are really good and if you can pony the money up for a digi. 6+ its even better they're freakin' sweet!