MT ET street R bias

Sk8trfred

Feb 27, 2007
MA
Talking to CS and MT they’re telling me that the bias plys are what I need for my stick car in the street, anyone using them for street driving I’m wondering how they handle corners and highway use, I’m not looking to be able to take off ramps at 90mph but I’d like to know they can handle regular driving.

• Sponsors (?)

Ive driven on stiff wall ET drag slicks 60 miles on the highway each way with no issues, also have done it on the old ET streets. The stiff wall ET drag was more stable at speed than the old ET streets were. I have heard good things about the new ET street R's but dont know anyone that has used them with a stick car yet.

I wish they made a 26" tire that fit on a 10" rim. Your best bet for them would be to use tubes and rim screws, both of these things will stiffen the sidewall of the tire and make it less prone to walking around on the highway. As long as you dont drive like a jackass and really watch it on wet pavement you will be fine.

Ive driven on stiff wall ET drag slicks 60 miles on the highway each way with no issues, also have done it on the old ET streets. The stiff wall ET drag was more stable at speed than the old ET streets were. I have heard good things about the new ET street R's but dont know anyone that has used them with a stick car yet.

I wish they made a 26" tire that fit on a 10" rim. Your best bet for them would be to use tubes and rim screws, both of these things will stiffen the sidewall of the tire and make it less prone to walking around on the highway. As long as you dont drive like a jackass and really watch it on wet pavement you will be fine.

They did say that if I didn’t feel comfortable using the bias on the street the ET street R radials are the next best thing because they don’t have steel belts so there’s a little more softness to the sidewall

That's the problem with the ET street bias,nothing for a 10'' wheel.
I use Hoosier Quick Time Pro's (dot bias) on the street,no problems at all.
They have 26,27 and 28x11.50 x15,10 inch tread,and 27 x10.50,9 inch tread.

I have the MT ET Street R bias and have run them on the street at 26psi. No issues whatsoever... A5 trans, 4.56 gear bla bla...
Having said that, I'm 50yrs old and my hot-dogging days are long behind me... So, as far as driving like a law abiding citizen, and taking corners in the same manner as 99.9% of the other folks commuting along the road... they are absolutely fine.
Now... I have these tires for the track, but have been lazy in changing them from time to time and have ended up driving on the street with them, and, have driven to/from the track on them.
90% of the time, on the street, it wears bfg radials up front and the ET Street s/s radials on the rear... not sure your power level or what you are looking for, but that s/s has a lot of "street" traction.

What are you wanting to do with the tire?

@RangerJoe runs the R bias as well (stick car)... maybe he will chime in.

I have the MT ET Street R bias and have run them on the street at 26psi. No issues whatsoever... A5 trans, 4.56 gear bla bla...
Having said that, I'm 50yrs old and my hot-dogging days are long behind me... So, as far as driving like a law abiding citizen, and taking corners in the same manner as 99.9% of the other folks commuting along the road... they are absolutely fine.
Now... I have these tires for the track, but have been lazy in changing them from time to time and have ended up driving on the street with them, and, have driven to/from the track on them.
90% of the time, on the street, it wears bfg radials up front and the ET Street s/s radials on the rear... not sure your power level or what you are looking for, but that s/s has a lot of "street" traction.

What are you wanting to do with the tire?

@RangerJoe runs the R bias as well (stick car)... maybe he will chime in.

Pretty much what you’re describing is what I’m looking to do, I’ve actually decided to go with the radials. didn’t realize the radials are a 26” and bias are 28”. I was told by MT though that the street R radial has more hooking power for a stick car due to the fact that the belts aren’t steel, I’m planning on 550ish at the flywheel through a T56

Mine are actually the older ET Street bias ply, not the newer r's. They drive fine on dry surfaces, but Don't expect to get but a few hundred miles out of them on the streets.

Joe

subscribing.

Interested in stick 26 and 28" street tires and optimal stick tires for the track. I'm still planning on dropping to 15" wheels for the track and 17s on the street.

Pretty much what you’re describing is what I’m looking to do, I’ve actually decided to go with the radials. didn’t realize the radials are a 26” and bias are 28”. I was told by MT though that the street R radial has more hooking power for a stick car due to the fact that the belts aren’t steel, I’m planning on 550ish at the flywheel through a T56
MT told you a radial would be better than a bias... or the radial R would be better than the radial s/s?
I find it very odd that MT would tell you a radial would provide a stick car better hooking power than the bias, when the bias is designed specifically for clutch cars...

The Bias R can be had in 26". It has a section width of 10.4 and would certainly work well on an 10" wheel. Mine are mouted to an 8" wheel and the first thing a few dedicated racers commented to me was "you should have that on a 10" wheel"... DOH.

As far as optimal track tire for a stick car... a stiff wall slick is the ticket.
If you are going to drive on the street, you're looking at ET Street R (bias) the the Hoosier QTP. You'll find lovers of both... Neither is suited to any wet conditions at all... a slight sprinkle that leaves the road looking dry will be a nightmare... been there, got caught in a "sun-shower" once. Scary stuff at 70mph... once I got off the freeway even city speeds were like driving on hardpacked snow.
When the R first came out some guys switched over from the QTP and were very happy... but, new rubber...so... gain of salt stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
MT told you a radial would be better than a bias... or the radial R would be better than the radial s/s?
I find it very odd that MT would tell you a radial would provide a stick car better hooking power than the bias, when the bias is designed specifically for clutch cars...

The Bias R can be had in 26". It has a section width of 10.4 and would certainly work well on an 10" wheel. Mine are mouted to an 8" wheel and the first thing a few dedicated racers commented to me was "you should have that on a 10" wheel"... DOH.

As far as optimal track tire for a stick car... a stiff wall slick is the ticket.
If you are going to drive on the street, you're looking at ET Street R (bias) the the Hoosier QTP. You'll find lovers of both... Neither is suited to any wet conditions at all... a slight sprinkle that leaves the road looking dry will be a nightmare... been there, got caught in a "sun-shower" once. Scary stuff at 70mph... once I got off the freeway even city speeds were like driving on hardpacked snow.
When the R first came out some guys switched over from the QTP and were very happy... but, new rubber...so... gain of salt stuff.

They said the street R radial is better than the S/S, not as good as the bias but better than the S/S because they don’t use steel belts. I’m looking to run 17” wheels so my options are limited. This is mainly going to be a weekend cruiser I may get a dedicated track set later on though

That is a 28'' . The other 28 has a 12.6'' section width, I don't think it will fit on a fox.

The 28x12.5 is smaller than a 275/60 pro radial, it will fit on a fox. Shifter, a member of other forums confirmed this and ran that tire on his 10.0 index car.

Ive seen the 26x10.5 on a 8" wheel and judging off of that i wouldnt put them on a 10" wheel unless it was a beadlock. I would bet they look pretty stretched out on a 10" rim

subscribing.

Interested in stick 26 and 28" street tires and optimal stick tires for the track. I'm still planning on dropping to 15" wheels for the track and 17s on the street.

If it is a tire only for the track, the 3053s or 3055s mickey thompson ET drag is what will work best. Clutch selection will also really effect how the tire works or doesnt work.

They said the street R radial is better than the S/S, not as good as the bias but better than the S/S because they don’t use steel belts. I’m looking to run 17” wheels so my options are limited. This is mainly going to be a weekend cruiser I may get a dedicated track set later on though
Thanks for the clarification.
Very happy with the s/s on the street, but, I don't make a lot of power, and what power I do make isn't down low in the rpm range... I can go flat to the floor in 1st (2.95) and even with the 4.56's it'll boogie... wiggles a bit but doesn't spin. Had BFG dr's previously and could obliterate them from a roll in 2nd... so, big step up in traction.
Hope the R radial works well for you.

Reactions: 1 user