Mustang 5.0 vs Explorer 5.0

All good advice above. I really wouldent drop in an explorer motor without a new cam, otherwise its basically a direct fit, minus the things you have to change, oilpan, acc brackets, dist, oil filter, etc But you will have all that stuff off your old motor! when i got my engine, i just changed into a new cam, timing chain, oil pump, and put on some 1.7rr's due to the cam, and as a direct replacement over my stock motor, doing nothing else, there is a HUGE increase in power, and much more when i get a tune i bet. With my cam, it has some cold lope idle problems, but a tune will fix that, otherwise it runs great and i daily drive it. also im using the injectors that came with the explorer, which are 19's. and the stock explorer intake which actually outflows a cobra a bit.

shineymotor_side.jpg

intake_compare.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

tmoss said:

Sorry don't know where it went. I was changing it and it dissapeared!!

It's never the operator, it's the computer to be blamed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

98 Explorer engine 5.0
Crower Cam 514
Twisted Wedges
80MM TB,RPM II, 42#inj.

11.855 @ 114.38
12.483 @ 106.81 P-heads,Ecam(old combo) 01Explorer

EDIT: There it is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If i had a complete 5.0 explorer motor, and wanted to do a rebuild, what should i do? All new gaskets and seals, what else? I know new cam, but would it be a good idea to rebuilt the heads, new springs, RRs...anything else? bored 30 over?

well i figured for the experience i could rebuild the motor. Clean everything up, and i wanna polish some stuff. I'd really rather get a high milage block (less money) because i'm wanting to do the rebuild anyway. BTW if you havent noticed, i'm very intrested in doing an explorer motor. :D

Check out LKQ. They have a yard in Manchester Tennessee. I don't know where in KY you live, there may be a closer location. They have 1999 Explorer and Mountaineer engines with 88K-115K miles for $440.12. They don't include the engine accessories, but you can't hardly buy just the intake and heads for that price. They have locations in lots of states if you arn't close to TN. http://www.lkqcorp.com/location/fulfill.asp?Exe=1 Select your state then "Parts lookup" for the location.

i got my complete motor, oil pan to intake for $650. It has 55k. I dident touch anything except what i mentioned above because its a good idea to do things like timing chain,oil pump, etc. and you really gotta change the cam, it sucks.