Mustang Blues...

tack

Mar 30, 2005
Illinois
Well here is the story of my weekend with the stanger. Read if you want, but be warned, it's a little bit long.

My poor mustang has finally let me down. But not on fault of the mustang. I blame this on motoblue! :nonono: Gotta be someone else to blame besides me atleast.

I bought an underdrive crank pulley from rpmoutlet. The pulleys were motoblue and looked great on my car. Only problem I noticed was with the tensioner held, it was an insanely tight fit to get my belt on the new pulleys. With the tensioner let go, it was really tight but I figured no problem there.

Well less than a month later the belt decided to break on me. Broke on me Friday afternoon about 3:45 or so. Lost power steering, ac started getting hot, battery light came on, car started getting hot. I knew right away the belt had to have come off. So I go slow for a little more with one eye on the road and one on my temp gauge so I don't get too hot. Just trying to get to the corner so I can get my car pulled over in a school parking lot. As I turn into the school I smell anti-freeze. :notnice:

Pop the hood and look, anti-freeze all over the place and no belt in sight. Turns out the belt just knocked a hose loose and sprayed antifreeze all over the place. So I call a friend and wait somewhere around 4 hours for him to come with his truck and trailor so I can get my car home.

After 3 trips to the parts store to get a new belt, since the numbers they kept cross referencing weren't working, I finally got the right belt on. Drive it today for about 15 minutes and it starts getting hot again so I pull over and let it cool down, it never got into the red on the temp gauge. Start it up and look and the horrible check engine light is on. So I drive it to my girlfriends house, I was just a minute or two away, and I park it and pop the hood. Radiator is almost out of anti-freeze so I fill it up and run it for awhile, stays cool but that damn light is on. Well when I finally got it home again I checked the code with my predator and it says Cylinder Head Overheat which I don't understand cause it never got to the red, so I just clear off the code. Won't those damn codes ever go off by themselves or do you just have to clear them the way I did?

And I guess one question for a follow up to my story, whats the best way to check to see if I have done any major damage by it getting as hot as it did? Should I just run it for awhile and see what happens? Drive it up and down the road, or just let it sit and idle for awhile? Guess thats all I have, just wanted to tell my fun weekend with the stanger, first time it has let me down. :nonono:

P.S. I think this might be the longest post on stangnet :hail2: :cheers:

• Sponsors (?)

Man, tack that sucks. Sorry I can't help you with that. I guess my answer would be is get it to a mechanic but If it was up to me I might try driving back and forth in my driveway for a while/let it idle but I think it mess it up more if it is messed up. Good luck man.

PS: Sorry but Andy has the longest post and stangnet award.

[QUOTE='66 coupe]I would be concerned about WHERE the coolant went after you got the new belt on.[/QUOTE]

:stupid: That is worriesome as well.

As for the condition of your heads, the only check I know is to drive it perhaps a bit more and change the oil/flush the radiator. If the oil has a white filmy coat on it or the coolant has oil in it, you may well have cracked/warped a head or at least busted a gasket. However, that might not happen, at least not for a while, so the only sure way is to take them off and get 'em looked at by an expert to make sure they're fine (which is where mine are right now...). Hope all ends up well and you don't have any lasting problems.

AndyG47 said:
Can't help you with the overheating problem....Sorry.

However I can say, and I'm sorry to break it to you this isn't the longest post on Stangnet. The reply to this question OVER HERE by me is. Sorry again. :shrug:

Your post doesn't count, most of it is about 2 characters per line. Anybody could copy the source and post it, it's coming up with something by yourself that counts. :)

My oil is due anyway so I'll probably change it today or tomorrow, I'll check to see if it looks normal or not. I ran it today for about 45 minutes and had no problems so hopefully nothing bad happened.

I was just going to say change the oil to see if the coolant is in there.

if your motor still runs with no noises you have caught it before damage occured. but dont drive it anymore until you get it sorted.

After you fixed the belt, did you fill the radiator back up? You could have pushed a lot of coolant out of it, if not all, when the hose came off. If not, just make sure it's full of a 50/50 mix of water and anti-freeze and take it out onto some country road and beat the hell out of it for a while. If it runs fine, you're ok.